ch-scene - Re: Saddest Song Ever?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Danny Hooley <dhoohoo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Saddest Song Ever?
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 19:13:35 -0800 (PST)

Here are some votes off the top of my head:

1) Prince, "Sometimes It Snows In April,"off the album
"Parade." Particularly sad because, as it came out
during the mid-eighties, it can be heard as a lament
for those lost during the growing AIDS epidemic.

2) Motorhead, "1916," off the album of the same name.
A ballad, of all things, sung by the ghost of a kid
killed in war.

3) George Jones, "The Grand Tour." Yeah, I know -- "He
Stopped Loving Her Today," yada yada yada. But that
sounds calculated compared to this one. Tell me you
don't choke up at the way he sings "As you leave
you'll see the nursery/ Aww, she left me without
mercy."

4) The Pogues, "And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda,"
"The Old Main Drag," and "A Pair of Brown Eyes."
Death, war, degradation -- the whole bit. That last
song also pulls off the astonishing trick of finding
redemption in the little things -- the birds singing
in the trees where the wind was gently laughing.

5. The Ramones, "Questioningly." Listen to Joey sing
the line:"When I'm going hooome." Sniff.