ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of February 10, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of February 10, 2005
  • Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:14:19 -0500

Thursday, February 10
The Rosebuds [http://www.therosebuds.com/], The Comas [http://www.thecomas.com], Portastatic [http://www.portastatic.com], The Sames [http://www.thesames.com]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is night one of a rolling CD-release extravaganza for the new local comp Heard Together. All four bands on the lineup are on the CD, along with Gerty, Schooner, Evil Weiner, Transportation, Shark Quest & a bunch of others. (One note: nearly everything on the CD is stuff from those bands' albums, so out-of-town completists need not get their panties in a wad about how they're gonna find a copy of the thing.)

Sames are playing first (as in 8:00 p.m.), and while I have a deep & abiding fondness for all the bands on the bill, I have to say, these days I'm most excited about the high pop weirdness that is the Sames, so I strongly advise not showing up late.

Thursday, February 10
The Kick Ass [http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html], Continent [http://216.117.191.68/continent/], Thunderlip [http://www.thunderlip.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

The Kickass are from Greenville (or at least they used to be -- they've probably wised up & gotten the hell out since then) & they make crazily technical math-metal with lots of drum noodling & giant amps. Continent are from Raleigh & they're sludgy as fuck; singer Sam Taylor (ex-El Sucio) has his guitar/amp set up to make a big undifferentiated mass of heavy low-end grumble that the other three play under/over/around/through.

Thunderlip are from Wilmington & that's all I have for you there.

Thursday, February 10
Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org]
Fuse, Chapel Hill

Friday, February 11
North Mississippi All-Stars [http://www.nmsallstars.com/], Good Friday Experiment [http://www.goodfridayexperiment.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Friday, February 11
Kerbloki [http://www.kerbloki.com/], Pro-L [http://futurock.com/proL.php], Language Arts [http://www.languageartsmusic.com]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, February 11
FrequeNC Sound System [http://www.frequenc.net/happenings.htm], Pykrete
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is a record-release party for the 2nd outing from the vinyl-only FrequeNC label; the 12" is, according to their website, "a political compilation which hopes to serve as a physical testament to the existence of an ongoing southern liberal movement with new tracks from the frequeNC crew and nods to those who inspired us. featuring tracks by: cold sides (NC's own constant evolvers drop it organic techno-dub style with a joint that kicks the butt and scratches the brain) and paul kayhart (hotlanta-based sound artist brings a minimal industrial soundscape circa george bush the elder) with a surprise remix by dj nasty boots (paying tribute to his lifelong favorite with a celebration of anti-copyright sentiment.)"

Friday, February 11
Leadfoot [http://www.leadfoot.net/], Transportation, Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com], Gerty [http://www.gerty.org]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Night two of the Heard Together CD release thing, this time at Local 506. Schooner are from Raleigh & the more I think about them the stranger they get.

Transportation live in a strange world where all the bands play all kinds of music and everything comes out sounding like Badfinger duking it out with Queen in the parking lot outside the Wings concert.

Gerty are the anti-Leadfoot and vice versa.

Saturday, February 12
Jason Anderson [http://www.indiepages.com/wolfcolonel/], Bibis Ellison [http://bibisellison.elektrikcoma.com/], Alina Simone [http://www.girlwithguitar.net/], Heather McEntire [http://www.bellafea.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Saturday, February 12
Nathan Asher & the Infantry [http://www.nathanasher.com/], The Prayers and Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers [http://www.prayersandtears.com/], The Know [http://www.theknowrocks.com]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Nathan Asher & the Infantry have the balls and/or gumption to wear their heavy Springsteen+Patti Smith influences right out there on the sleeves of their matching fatigues (really!) like battle ribbons. We're talking bombastic piano-fueled rock with Nathan rant-singing 1000 words a minute, a deluge of rhyming halfway-free verse that rambles and pours on and on about politics and love and whatever else pops into his head. It's crazy stuff, and it may drive you a little nuts yourself; that much earnestness can be hard to take. But it's also maybe a little necessary in 2005 for somebody to be this unselfconsciously idealistic.

Put another way: I'm glad to know he's out there, even if I sometimes can't bear to watch him.

The Know join that cadre of Raleigh Rock bands jostling to be the younger, suaver replacements for the Cherry Valence. The Weather are still at the head of that particular pack, but The Know are poised to out-cute them any moment now. If only cuteness counted . . .

Saturday, February 12
Honored Guests [http://www.thehonoredguests.com/], Cub Country [http://www.cubcountry.com/], Billy Sugarfix [http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/billysugarfix.htm]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is night three of the Heard Together CD release weekend.

I finally got around to seeing Cub Country a few weeks ago, and goddamn, I had no idea TGOR bassist Jeff Clarke could play a Telecaster with that much sweet classic Bakersfield tone. Between Jeff's playing and frontman Jeremy Chatelain's songwriting & arranging, it was the best set of straight-ahead country/bar/rock I've seen in a good three years--good enough to make me willing to overlook the giant scruffy-ass emo beards they were all sporting.

Saturday, February 12
The Wrens [http://www.wrens.com/]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

My friend Bo Williams, who once appeared in a lengthy speaking role on a Superchunk EP (and how many of you can say the same? well, yeah, three of you -- but other than them? I thought not.) and whose taste in music is generous, wide-ranging, and just generally impeccable, enthused briefly about the Wrens: "I'd just like to point out that seeing the Wrens live was one of my highlights of 2004- not to be missed if you are at all a fan."

Sunday, February 13
Fake Swedish [http://fakeswedish.4t.com/index.html]
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Fake Swedish are such dyed-in-the-wool rockers that I dunno for sure if they're actually really playing this show or not; anything before 10:00 p.m. is only ever pencilled into their schedules.

Assuming we uncross our wires & get connected, they'll be making what is probably my favorite local sub-strain of 60s-influenced acid/pubrock; there are bits & pieces of Steppenwolf & Hendrix floating around in there, sure, but they also knock out a Jacques Brel cover that might as well be their own. Frontman Joe Romeo has the perfect combination of literate swagger & dark self-consciousness; he simultanously revels in & recoils slightly from his own rockstar instincts.

5:00 p.m. sharp (more or less); 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org.

Monday, February 14
Flicker [http://www.chapel-hill.nc.us/flicker]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Flicker, as always, is your locally-produced, globe-spanning semi-bi-monthly mini-festival of short films. Though I haven't seen a rundown of this night's lineup, the evening generally consists of roughly 90 minutes worth of films (everything must originate on film, not video, although an exception is made for Pixelvision), each no more than ~15 minutes long, with most coming in at the 5-12 minute mark.

There are cookies, drawings & prizes, and a blessed intermission at the halfway mark. Things get underway at 8:00ish and the cost of admission is absurdly low, so drink up.

Tuesday, February 15
Love Hangover
Kings, Raleigh

Years ago, my friend Richard Alwyn founded this post-Valentines evening of duets, because although he was a midwesterner, and prone to stoicism (of the drunken, extremely well-dressed variety), he knew that we all need a little catharsis in our lives, especially on the day after Valentine's.

He was clearly right; it has been a Kings tradition ever since. Local musicians of various stripes get together (some with friends, lovers, or longtime singing partners; others with people they hardly know) and work up short sets of duets. This year's lineup includes (and I dunno the exact order, so don't blame me):

Clay Merritt & Caroline Mamoulides (both ex-Shames)
Greg Hanson & Katrina Lamberto
Graham Fry (ex-Confessor, ex-Cloud Nine) & Ashley Carter (ex-Annabel Lee)
Chris Clemmons (Regina Hexaphone) & Karen Kletter (ex-Dear Enemy/Dana & Karen Kletter)
Scott Phillips (Goner) & Aimee Argote (des_ark)

Tuesday, February 15
Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com], Snowglobe [http://www.snowglobemusic.com/]
The Library, Chapel Hill

The Library is on East Franklin street, down in the middle of the block across from the Varsity & Pepper's. In that general region, at least. They've been doing indie-rock on Tuesdays for some time now, I guess, although with the exception of a few flyers & word-of-mouth, I don't hear much about it. Now that I've found their website [http://libraryrocks.com], though, we should be all set.

Schooner are from Raleigh and make a peculiar & fascinating variation on mopey croon-pop; peculiar in that it periodically gets up & rocks like crazy & also occasionally collapses into a haze of static & noise.

Tuesday, February 15
Art Lord and the Self Portraits [http://www.ideasforhousecrafts.com], Dan Deacon [http://www.dandeacon.com/], Height
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 15
Jens Lekman [http://www.jenslekman.tk/], Impossible Shapes [http://lunamusic.net/impossible/]
Duke Coffeehouse, Durham

Wednesday, February 16
Dalek [http://www.deadverse.com/dalekfall2000.htm], Glissade, All Astronauts [http://www.allastronauts.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Local 506 owner Glenn Boothe was enthusing the other day about Glissade, but I forget what he was saying; I'm pretty sure it involved instrumental rock. He was also enthusing (at a whole 'nother level) about dälek, who (he says) sound like people rapping over My Bloody Valentine. Which is in fact more or less exactly what the mp3 I heard sounded like. Remains to be seen whether dälek will be as absurdly unnecessarily loud as MBV were when I saw them.

All Astronauts are from Winston-Salem and they make a giant guitar-fueled anthem machine with erratic steering courtesy of singer Haydee Thompson (ex-Squatweiler). Confidential to Grayson Currin: Kat Lamp is their bass player. If you're gonna dis people in print, get their fucking names right.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of February 10, 2005, grady, 02/09/2005