ch-scene - Re: Politics R Us

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Chris Calloway <ifoufo AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Politics R Us
  • Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 21:15:55 -0800 (PST)

--- kevin maxwell farmer <fakirmevern-amch AT yahoo.com>
wrote:
> as a general rule, however, i'm not much into
> cajoling the powers that
> be to do anything. if i want something done, then i
> do it.

i gotta say, kevin has the right idea. the fellow with
the state blog idea doesn't seem to understand that
the dem party is a bottom up organization (a common
trait among bloggers: thinking in huge broadcast
mode). its plan of organization explicitly states
right up front that the unit of organization is the
precinct, which is *only* organizable by the people in
it. state parties are damn near irrelevant until you
get activist state officers. when you get those (go
jerry meek!) you don't have to blog them. they come
right out to your meetings to see how they can help,
no prompting necessary. but a properly functioning
precinct committee shouldn't need any help from the
state.

> on another level, personally, i find posting to
> blogs to be a pain in
> the ass--spatially, i can't relate to it as well as
> i can a listserv.

having witnessed an election season of blogs up close
(including running a statewide campaign blog), i can
say that blogs encourage armchair activists who are
too busy complaining to blogs and not doing enough on
the ground themselves and for themselves. (i have a
name for it: the journalism syndrome.) they encourage
people to think that the power rains down from above
instead of coming from within. these all encompassing
blogs beyond the neighborhood level are great for
insuring people who should be working together spend
all their time waging flame wars against each other
instead. plus, open blogs (which a feedback blog would
need to be) are troll magnets. if you want to
publically make your state party look as stupid as
possible, put a blog on its website.

precincts in durham county have their own mailing
lists. that is more like two way communication. and
among the people who need to be talking to each other.

kevin and i are giving a precinct organizing workshop
tomorrow (saturday) at solterra commons house at 10am
and 1pm for any durham dems who's care to attend (we
can help you if you need to affiliate, switch parties,
or move residence). we can teach you how to make
blogging irrelevant.

3