ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of February 4, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of February 4, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 12:14:45 -0500

Friday, February 4
Mortar and Pestle, Alvarez Painting
[http://www.trekkyrecords.com/alva/index.html], Tiger Bear Wolf
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Not too long ago, Strunken White proved that high school bands
deserved to be taken as seriously as (hell, moreso than) their
[post/]collegiate counterparts.

That ground thoroughly broken, the high school label/empire that is
[http://www.trekkyrecords.com/] Trekky Records was more-or-less
inevitable. Founded when its principals (Alvarez Painting's Will
Hackney and Martin Anderson) were in 9th and 7th grades, the label
currently has a stable of at least 8 bands (at least some of which are
old enough to drink) and a catalog approaching 20 releases.

This show is a showcase/CD-release for Trekky & the Greensboro band
Mortar&Pestle; fittingly, Greensboro's TigerBearWolf, featuring
ex-Strunken White guitarist Noah Howard, is also on the bill.

Friday, February 4
Spencer Acuff [http://www.spenceracuff.com/], Heroes of Old
[http://www.purevolume.com/HeroesofOld], American Aquarium
[http://www.clearchannelnewmusicnetwork.com/artist/americanaquarium]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Friday, February 4
snmnmnm [http://www.snmnmnm.com/], The Never, Spader
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Smart-alecky nerd-pop-rock; the joke that was Weezer taken *way* too
seriously for way too long; They Might Be Giants without the
intellectual rigor. SNMNMNM mix it up a bit with tuba & accordion, but
the result is still highschool band-nerds playing power-pop. I
understand that there's a huge market for the stuff--highschool
band-nerds being ubiquitous and self-perpetuating--but I'm not in that
demographic, and I can't fit my head in there long enough to explain
it.

Saturday, February 5
Portastatic [http://www.portastatic.com], Jett Rink
[http://www.jett-rink.com/], Strange [http://www.thisisstrange.org],
Erie Choir, Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com]
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

This is an all-day Tsunami Relief benefit spread across two stages
(the upstairs Martin Street main stage and downstairs at Lizzie's).
All I can do is give you the lineup & confirm that yes, these are some
of the brighter lights of the Triangle indie-music universe:

UPSTAIRS
4 PM: Portastatic
5 PM: Patty Hurst Shifter
6 PM: Goner
7 PM: Schooner
8 PM: Erie Choir
9 PM: Strange
10 PM: The Honored Guests
11 PM: Snatches of Pink
12 AM: Jett Rink
1 AM: Spader

DOWNSTAIRS
4:30 PM: The Pink Slips
5:30 PM: Quarantines
6:30 PM: Billy Sugarfix
7:30 PM: The Greatest Hits
8:30 PM: The Cartridge Family
9:30 PM: Sullentine
10:30 PM: Ticonderoga
11:30 PM: Oedipus Dick

Saturday, February 5
Ahleuchatistas [http://www.ahleuchatistas.com/go.php], The Kools
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Ahleuchatistas = hyperactive instrumental math-rocky spazzmoid
free-jazz with gtr/bass/drums.

Saturday, February 5
Tommy Stinson [http://www.tommystinson.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, February 6
Monsonia [http://www.monsonia.com], Dom Casual
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Monsonia are a young Slinty trio from Chapel Hill. It's a classical
form -- about as formalist as they come in indie-rock, in fact -- and
they hit all the right notes of wry alienation in all the right
places.

Also on the bill, Durham's Dom Casual, with their kinda spooky blend
of 60s garage/surf with Elvis Costello confessional and the occasional
Clash-influenced bombastic turn.

Monday, February 7
American Aquarium
[http://www.clearchannelnewmusicnetwork.com/artist/americanaquarium],
Jason Scavone and the Noises 10 [http://www.jasonscavone.com/],
Suspended Principals [http://www.unc.edu/~ott/sp/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, February 8
Rogue Wave [http://www.roguewavemusic.com/], Two Gallants
[http://www.twogallants.com/], Audubon Park
[http://audubonpark.blogspot.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

The triumphant return of Audubon Park, who're currently sitting tight
on their third EP, waiting for market conditions to improve. Or
something like that. They're still my current-favorite live local
band, for the way they take it to the brink of collapse and then push
it right on over, and stand there laughing amid the ruins. And then
Matt Kalb plays a weird staccato guitar solo and some oooh-ooh-ooohs
kick in, and the song's over before you even realize you've fallen in
love.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------