ch-scene - Stuff to do, week[end] of January 28, 2005

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week[end] of January 28, 2005
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 17:24:03 -0500

I'll give you next week next week, if I get around to it, or you can DIY. Until then:

Friday, January 28
Transportation, Jule Brown [http://www.julebrown.org], Mowing Lawns
[http://www.dyss.net/mlawns.html]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Jule Brown is the early show at the Cave. Mark Holland has been
playing music both with & without his brother Michael for longer than
I've lived in NC; for most of that time they were known collectively
as Jennyanykind, but Mark has been doing Jule Brown on the side since
the 90s sometime, and as Jennyanykind coasted in for a landing, Jule
Brown just naturally picked up where they left off, with more weird
droning mesmerizing country blues gospel psychedelia.

The late show is 70s UK glam/pop-influenced rockers Transportation --
listen for the early Queen & the Badfinger (or don't--it'll come find
you, no doubt). Also on the bill: the avant-folk (and occasional
crouch-on-the-floor knob-twiddling-noise) of Mowing Lawns.

Friday, January 28
Chrome Plated Apostles [http://www.demonbeach.com], Killer Filler, Red
Skeleton
Kings, Raleigh

Chrome-Plated Apostles are Clif, Rock & Hunter from the Bad Checks
with Clif on guitar and Greg Adams (Pipe MkII) on bass. They're kinda
like, um, the Bad Checks, only maybe a little dirtier. Is that
possible?

Red Skeleton covered Dinosaur Jr. at the Cover-Up and the oft-repeated
joke was that the only thing they'd done was put on wigs; they already
had the sound down cold.

Saturday, January 29
Eyes to Space [http://www.eyestospace.net/], The Prayers and Tears of
Arthur Digby Sellers [http://www.prayersandtears.com/], Nathan Asher &
the Infantry [http://www.nathanasher.com/], Feeding the Fire
[http://www.feedingthefire.com/], In the Year of the Pig
[http://www.southernloveprod.com/ityotp.htm]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Zip back and forth between here & the Cave (shouldn't be too hard;
they're literally a few hundred yards from each other) and you can
potentially see *eight* of the Triangle's Next Generation of bands in
one night.

Nathan Asher and the Infantry are working on a serious E-Street Band
fetish--there are like 14 of them, and they end every song with a Big
Rock Ending. Nathan's rushing tumble of lyrics sometimes gets so
overwhelming that he starts sounding like one of those logorrheic MCs,
dropping rhymes faster than you can parse. Mostly he tries to sing,
though, and in any case the multiplicity of guitars & pianos & whatnot
leave no doubt that it's a rockband. That wears fatigues. Hmm. The
earnestness kind of makes me queasy, but it's definitely a spectacle,
one way or another.

Saturday, January 29
Kolyma, TV Knife, Dude Garden
Martin Street Music Hall, Raleigh

Russ deSena (ex-Chickens, Night Moose, Kolyma) says: "Maybe you saw TV
Knife do the Flaming Lips at Cover Up? I like em better as TV Knife,
but Lips analogy holds (sorta) for the original material. DG has James
from Lord Neck/Night Moose w/ Phil, Chris, and Christie from Bucks
Deluxe."

Saturday, January 29
Can Joann [http://www.canjoann.com/], Fashion Design
[http://fashiondesignband.com/], Schooner
[http://www.schoonermusic.com]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

If you've been wondering what the New Generation of Triangle bands
looks like, this show would make an excellent primer. Fashion Design
make the swooshing chorusy coed brit-influenced shoegaze/anthemrock.
Schooner make the mopey bedroom pop that occasionally bursts into
great crashing rock moments. Can Joann are a cipher.

Saturday, January 29
The Moaners, The Spinns [http://www.thespinns.freeservers.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

OK, so there's a third secret opening band, and the folks at the label
all of a sudden couldn't resist sending out a lot of emails dropping
hints earlier this week, so much so that there's a distinct
possibility that this show is going to be a mob scene.

If you manage to negotiate that, you'll be treated to the rudimentary
garage-stomp of the Spinns, and then the rudimentary in a different
way gtr/drums rock+reel of the Moaners, who are Melissa Swingle
(ex-Trailer Bride) and Laura King (ex-Gerty, Grand National), who is
one of the best rock drummers I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.
Oh yeah: yr $8 gets you a copy of the new Moaners CD, "Dark Snack."

Sunday, January 30
Strange [http://www.thisisstrange.org]
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

Strange are from Raleigh; they make huge weird echoey boomy rock, the
kind that seems like it comes from another world or at least another
continent. Another dimension? Maybe. Echoes of the Birthday Party, the
earlier Cult, I dunno, Savage Republic? Name a band from the 80s that
crashed & boomed a little & invent your own metaphors. 5:00 p.m. 88.7
FM or www.wxdu.org.

Monday, January 31
Velvet [http://www.velvetpop.com], Park Life
[http://www.parklifeband.com/]