ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] Free Screening of Lakoff Film -- New Arrivals -- Sale Reminder -- Upcoming Events

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] Free Screening of Lakoff Film -- New Arrivals -- Sale Reminder -- Upcoming Events
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 15:03:55 -0500

GREETINGS FROM INTERNATIONALIST BOOKS!

Our New Year's Sale has been extended for another week; many new titles are still marked down 20-30% or more. New fiction, graphic novels, DIY, politics and more. Books that don't sell we'll soon be returning to our distributors!

FREE SCREENING OF GEORGE LAKOFF FILM

Please join us in Chapel Hill at the Hanes Art Center, on the University of North Carolina Campus, on Jan 30th at 5:30 PM for a screening of "How Democrats and Progressives Can Win: A filmed interview with George Lakoff." Following the screening, trained facilitators will help everyone practice the lessons from this powerful film.

George Lakoff, a brilliant linguist at UC Berkeley, believes progressives need to frame and communicate our values clearly, so most people will recognize them as their own. He offers a concise explanation of how conservatives have used language to dominate politics. His concept of "framing" offers ways to convey the righteousness of progressive principles and programs in a way that will be *felt* by the American public. We need to NEVER use their frames, and we have to introduce our own positive frames.

January 30th at Hanes Art Center on UNC Campus -- doors open at 5:00 PM. Film to start shortly after 5:30. Discussion to follow. For additional info contact Donna Bell, dcbell AT gmail.com, 919-923-1019 or Graig Meyer, jagmeyer AT earthlink.net, 919-967-6253. This is a grassroots event led by individuals and co-sponsored by Democracy NC, SURGE (Students United for a Responsible Global Environment) and Internationalist Books.

George Lakoff's book "Don't Think of an Elephant" will be available from Internationalist Books on Monday as soon as the box arrives from the publisher!

DESERT CITY POETRY SERIES: FEBRUARY 19 WITH COLE SWENSON AND CHRIS VITIELLO

Cole Swensen, a finalist for the 2004 National Book Award in Poetry, will read her poems with Durham resident Chris Vitiello in the popular Desert City Poetry Series, at Internationalist Books on February 19th at 8 PM. Desert City is an ongoing monthly reading series hosted by Ken Rumble and Internationalist Books. Donations to support the poets and series are encouraged; the reading is open to the public. More information to follow!

NEW TITLES

From AK PRESS:

At War With Asia, Noam Chomsky

Breaking Free: The Adventures of TinTin, J Daniels

Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground, Maria Raha

The Gruesome Acts of Capitalism, David Lester

How to Read Donald Duck

Twilight of Empire: Responses to Occupation, Perceval Press

From CONSORTIUM:

Gene Wars, Kristin Dawkins

Haymarket, Martin Duberman

Iraq, Inc., Pratap Chatterjee

An Ordinary Person's Guide to Empire, Arundhati Roy

Public Power in the Age of Empire, Arundhati Roy

The Raging Grannies, Carole Roy

Voices of A People's History of the United States, Howard Zinn

Urban Injustice, David Hilfiker

From DOVER BOOKS:

Growing Wild Woodland Plants, Clarence and Eleanor Birdseye

Utopian Communities in America, 1680-1880, Mark Holloway

A Modern Herbal, vol1 and vol2, M. Grieve

American Medicinal Plants, Charles Millspaugh

The Art & Craft of Handmade Paper, Vance Studley

Edible Wild Plants of North America, Merritt Fernald

The Tyranny of Testing, Banesh Hoffmann

The Great Anarchists: Ideas and Teachings of Seven Major Thinkers, Paul Eltzbacher

Autobiography of Mother Jones

NEW MAGAZINES & JOURNALS

Race Traitor #16 (Winter '05)
The first new issue in years(?) from Race Traitor, this time focusing on Israel.
http://racetraitor.org/

Strange Attractor Journal
From the UK, a new journal of writings on esoteric culture, art, anthropology and literature.
http://www.strangeattractor.co.uk/

###

Internationalist Books
405 West Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
www.internationalistbooks.org

  • [Internationalist Books] Free Screening of Lakoff Film -- New Arrivals -- Sale Reminder -- Upcoming Events, Internationalist Books, 01/28/2005