ch-scene - Re: Good recording studios in Triangle area (or beyond, if they're really good...)?

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Good recording studios in Triangle area (or beyond, if they're really good...)?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:12:13 -0500

I was gonna mention Rossi's studio (he's done stuff recently for The Nein and Erie Choir, among others) but he just did that.

There's also Nick Peterson, who used to be half of Polyphonic Audio & is now running Track & Field with Jon Byrd in part of the old Go Studios space. I dunno direct contact info but here is a thing in the Indy about it: http://indyweek.com/durham/2004-09-22/durhamchapelhill.html

Nick has done good work with a lot of local indie-rock bands & I've heard nothing but good stuff about their new setup.

Unsolicited free advice: the more you practice & arrange ahead of time, the cheaper the recording gets, no matter what studio you go to.

Ross

hangintough99MAPSON AT hotmail.com wrote:
Anyone know a good recording studio for making demos to get gigs, and
that would be good enough to put on a CD release? I'm a little out of
the loop as far as the scene goes around here, but I recall a place in
Mebane that was called, Duck-kee studios I think? Or something like
that? Are they around, and if so, are they a good option for a start
up band? I just did a search on the group and a guy named "Ryan
Pickett" came up, and wondering if he'd be a good option. I just need
something really basic. It's just two of us right now (me on
guitar/singing , and my friend Lucas on drums). Basic
rock/pop/soul/folk/R & B originals. We don't have a bass player, but
the option to lay down a bass track on the recording would be nice. Or
organ would be good to. And we're on a budget, so discounts for
recording at night, or buying blocks of time, whatever, would be great.
Looking for good bang for the buck, but not wanting to skimp where it
counts. (To quote Shaw, "Mere parsimony is not economy.") Anyway,
just wondering. Thanks to anyone offering advice! Feel free to post
here or to send me an email: toddigoe
[ATTHERECORDINGSTUDIOTHATROCKSHARDONMYHAT] yahoo.com
Thank you,
Todd