ch-scene - Re: Stuff to do, Week of December 17, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: local506 AT earthlink.net
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: Stuff to do, Week of December 17, 2004
  • Date: 20 Dec 2004 10:58:53 -0800

Wow Ross, I could not have said it better myself. A cover charge is
just a hurdle for new bands to get fans and for bars to support new
acts. There have been plenty nights during my first six months where
bands have blown me away - and left me thinking, if only more people
saw this band, they could be huge. Even worse, the band usually walks
out with less than $20 bucks to boot. Indeed, a lose-lose for all
involved.

Likewise, there are a lot of great NC bands from outside the triangle
that I have tough time booking because:
a) I don't want them driving 2-3 hours only to play for a dozen people
b) They don't have enough pull to add them to a touring bill
So, hopefully, these shows will resolve some of that and expand upon
the amount of great local music we already have to choose from.

Thanks for the plug...and hopefully these shows will prove mutually
beneficial for everyone...glenn

>>>I just said nice things about the Sames, and I dunno from the other
two, so instead I'll say nice things about Local 506, who have rather
rashly adopted an idea that various of us have advocated at various
times over the years: free shows. The idea being that more people are
likely to take a chance on the fine young local rockers if they don't
have to pay anything to get in, *and* the drinkers who just wanna
drink will have no impediment either.

More drinkers means a healthier club; more audience for the young
bands means a healthier music scene. If you believe in this equation
then please come out to these free shows at the 506, and PLEASE think
of this as your opportunity to direct your cover-charge money to the
target of your choice. Buy yourself an extra drink; tip the bartender
an extra buck; or buy a CD or t-shirt or whatever from the bands. Or
just stand in the back & leave the money in your pocket, but fall
swooningly in love with one of the bands, so much so that you'd be
more than willing to pay to see them next time. No matter what, we all
win.