ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] Anger is an energy

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] Anger is an energy
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:14:21 -0500

Feeling angry? Depressed? Hopeless?
Or are you ready to start a revolution?

Here at the Internationalist, we hoped that on November 3rd all of our anti-Bush books and bumperstickers would be, as one volunteer put it, "worthless as Confederate cash." Instead they remain relevant as signs of just how powerful is the opposition to our ideals of justice, peace, and equality.

Over the past four years the Internationalist has been a center of organizing and activism for the Chapel Hill community and beyond, from sending busloads of anti-war protestors to Washington, D.C., to hosting the local Desert City Poetry series. We are a small force facing a giant beast. We need your help so that we can redouble our efforts to spread the values on which this country was founded: justice, equality, and personal freedom. Our hope is in our community. Help our community remain strong by becoming a member, volunteer, or patron of the Internationalist.

Take a moment to come by the store and get involved in the movement to resist the efforts of the current administration to sell us all to the highest bidder, find some poetry to comfort your soul, humor to lighten your mood, or political commentary to motivate you to action, the Internationalist is here for you. Just as the will of a community is stronger than an isolated individual, the Internationalist thrives because it is created by the wisdom and needs of our community. If you care about gay rights, if you care about women's rights, if you care about civil liberties, if you care about the environment, if you care about your country and the struggle ahead, then the Internationalist is here for you.

Three ways to give:

1) Online through the secure paypal service
http://www.internationalistbooks.org/about/members/

2) In person at the Internationalist Bookstore (address below)

3) By mail to: Internationalist Bookstore; Attn: Memberships,
405 W. Franklin St.; Chapel Hill, NC 27516

You are also invited to join us in our annual celebration of Buy Nothing Day, Friday November 26, a day that corporate America has proclaimed to be the biggest shopping day of the year. On this day, we will veil our shelves and open our doors for a celebration of community. This year's Buy Nothing Day will be an open forum for you to speak and be heard. We will also have local poets, music, a clothing swap, food, and other entertainment -- all free. Mark your calendars now and look for more details soon!

I would like to thank all of you that helped to register voters, those that helped to canvass neighborhoods, make phone calls, monitor the polls, and of course those who voted. Your work was not in vain -- it helped to lay the foundation for the work that is yet to come. The bookstore depends on people like you to keep its doors open and its shelves stocked to provide our activist community with the space and resources you need to plan the revolution!

In solidarity,
Kelly Wooten
Board Chair

P.S. Check out this great interview about our very own bookstore on the website audioactivism.org: http://www.audioactivism.org/archives/000029.html

  • [Internationalist Books] Anger is an energy, Internationalist Books, 11/11/2004