ch-scene - grief

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jbtroy1 AT aol.com
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: grief
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 13:58:56 EST

Day 5. still unhinged.

I consider it a measure of one's intelligence and worthiness as a human being
to devise healthful responses to tragic events. Even among the 9/11
victims there were many voices affirming the value of seeking strength
instead of
vengeance, of renouncing bitterness by working with and for one another.
When
faced with overwhelming grief, the credo that hate demeans and depletes us
and
that the pursuit of loving ideals will enable us to thrive isn't just a nice
idea; it's a survival strategy.

So I'm trying, very hard, to figure out how to implement this strategy. Since
election night, I've been staggering under the weight of anger and denial.
And more anger. It's like being covered with shit. How can you embrace
your
fellow human being if you're staggering around covered with shit? I'd be
doing neither of us a favor.

So maybe I'll hold off on the embracing my fellow human being part until I
can shed some of this baggage.

It will first be necessary to move past the denial stage, which I haven't
quite managed. I don't understand why the question of accuracy on
electronic
ballots hasn't received more scrutiny; I really don't understand why the
suspicion of chicanery from this administration should be regarded as
"paranoid" in
this day and age, given what we've seen thus far from this administration.
(We should question whether they're capable of theft when the GOP sent out
fliers advertising that "God speaks through George Bush?") I'm fairly
alert, keep
up with the news, read the usual stuff. Have I missed the articles that
explained that there was no credible way for Bush/Cheney to steal the
election
through manipulation of those electronic voting machines?

I'm also having trouble accepting that the election was close. Is it really
possible that a fundamentalist mindset -- one that is still suspicious about
evolution, one that rejects the concept that women should have the right
*not*
to give birth, one that regards homosexuality as a threat but treats the
slaughter of thousands of innocent people as unworthy of concern -- has
overthrown
the values and principles that made this country worth fighting for?

Dear God, please let it be that the election was stolen, and that the country
I love could not harbor such massive ignorance and such smallness of heart.
And please God, give me the strength to love any human being who could ratify
the viciousness, the calumnies and the bloodlust represented by George Bush
and Dick Cheney.

Joan

  • grief, Jbtroy1, 11/07/2004