ch-scene - woody/dead ceo spam time

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: woody AT deadceo.com (Woody)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: woody/dead ceo spam time
  • Date: 31 Oct 2004 09:08:42 -0800

Hey folks-

I'm still occasionally lurking around a.m.c-h... I know this sort of
promo thing may not meet netiquette but I know a lot of you and
thought this would be easier than emailing so many of you. For those
who don't know me, I lived in Chapel Hill for several years but have
been in chicago for 5 years now.

anyway, this is the update for my tiny label, dead ceo, with an
announcement for the release of my solo banjo free improvisation
album.

-Woody

------------------------------------

d e a d c e o update[1.nov.2004]
www.deadceo.com

I. New Release : Uncle Woody Sullender "Nothing is Certain but Death"
II. Sound Writing - only a few copies left
III. Show Chicago/Nov 6 : Compositions by Olivia Block and Woody
Sullender

------------------------------------

NEW RELEASE
Uncle Woody Sulender
"Nothing is Certain but Death"
cd

Uncle Woody Sullender's solo debut, Nothing is Certain but Death, is a
contemporary improvised banjo album. While Uncle Woody's playing may
be haunted by the voices of the banjo's past, he challenges the
instrument's various identities, constructing a new voice equally
indebted to punk, free jazz, noise, and Derek Bailey as it is to the
artists preserved in 78rpm recordings.

Also features guest appearances by cellist Fred Lonberg-Holm, vocalist
Carol Genetti, and cracked electronics maverick Jason Soliday.

available at: http://www.deadceo.com/releases.html

------------------------------------

"Sound Writing" 10" lathe-cut compilation (edition of 60)
ALMOST SOLD-OUT!

This beautiful 10" clear lathe-cut vinyl record comes in a
silkscreened box containing various ephemera.

I only have a few of these beautiful objects left. Some young
entrepreneur just managed to sell one on ebay for $34.00:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4044665039

While I am not trying to inflate the price, I am nearly out so if you
wanted one, I only have a few copies left although there are a handful
still floating around Chicago area record stores.

Also available at: http://www.deadceo.com/releases.html

------------------------------------

Compositions for electronics and instruments
by Olivia Block and Woody Sullender
Nov. 6, 2004 9PM
3030, 3030 W Cortland, Chicago

Program:

"Heaving To" by Olivia Block
Jared Brewer (Trumpet), Amy Cimini (viola), Kevin Davis (cello), Marc
Elzweig (bass clarinet), Mike Hogg (Tuba),

Through 4 speakers: whipping wind, creaking wood, falling and swirling
pieces of amorphous aural debris, violins scattering and horns and
winds sounding, all embedded within a storm at sea

"If The Light Has Gone Out" by Woody Sullender
Amy Cimini (viola), Kevin Davis (cello), Brian Diblee (bass), Woody
Sullender (vocal)

"If The Light Has Gone Out," a composition for string trio and stereo
speakers, explores different forms of listening and consciousness and
the relative meanings of these experiences.

Bios

Olivia Block is a contemporary composer and sound artist who combines
field recordings, scored segments for acoustic instruments, and
electronically generated sound. Her recorded work seeks to introduce,
set at play, and ultimately reconcile nature with artifice in the
realms of music and sound. In the process, "organic" sound becomes
subtly processed, digitized and abstracted; "inorganic" sound becomes
self-replicating and animate; and "musical" elements such as chamber
instruments are defamiliarized from their traditional associations,
freeing them to participate in the larger aesthetic possibilities of
sound.

Woody Sullender is a music improvisor and composer currently living in
Chicago. His work deals with the social, political, and personal
meanings of organized sound. Most recently, he has collaborated with
sound artist Maryanne Amacher, incorporating his recordings into an
installation in Mexico City. His solo debut, "Nothing is Certain but
Death," an album of banjo improvisations, will be released in November
2004. Currently, Woody is completing a Master of Fine Arts degree in
Music/Sound at Bard College.

dead ceo po box 906 chicago, il 60690
website: www.deadceo.com
almost gone: "Sound Writing" lathe-cut record comp
out now: Uncle Woody Sullender cd

  • woody/dead ceo spam time, Woody, 10/31/2004