ch-scene - not music, but scary

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: annemgomez AT hotmail.com (Anne Gomez)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: not music, but scary
  • Date: 17 Sep 2004 09:17:59 -0700

This is the text of message that went through several forwardings
before it got to me (I will be happy if someone can show this is all
fake):

Subject: Bush administration quietly sets up return of the draft.
(pass it on)

Bush is of course being very quiet about this right now, but it's
QUITE real
... the administration is gearing up for a return of the draft.

Mandatory draft for boys and girls (ages 18-26) starting June 15,
2005, is
something that everyone should know about.

This literally effects everyone since we all have or know children
that will
have to go if this bill passes.

There is pending legislation in the house and senate (companion
bills: S89 and
HR 163 <http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query> ) which will time the
program's
initiation so the draft can begin as early as spring, 2005, just after
the 2004
presidential election. The administration is quietly trying to get
these bills
passed now, while the public's attention is on the elections, so our
action on
this is needed immediately. Details and links follow.

This plan, among other things, eliminates higher education as a
shelter and
includes women in the draft. Also, crossing into Canada has already
been made
very difficult.

Please send this on to all the parents and teachers you know, and all
the aunts
and uncles, grandparents, godparents. . . And let your children know -
- it's
their future, and they can be a powerful voice for change!

This legislation is called HR 163 and can be found in detail at this
website:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:HR00163:@@@L&summ2=m&;
<http://thomas/>

If this bill passes, it will include all men and ALL WOMEN from ages
18 - 26 in
a draft for military action. In addition, college will no longer be an
option
for avoiding the draft and they will be signing an agreement with the
Canada
which will no longer permit anyone attempting to dodge the draft to
stay within
its borders. This bill also includes the extension of military service
for all
those that are currently active.

If you go to the selective service web site and read their 2004 FYI
Goals you
will see that the reasoning for this is to increase the size of the
military in
case of terrorism. This is a critical piece of legislation, this will
effect our
undergraduates, our children and our grandchildren.

The pentagon has quietly begun a public campaign to fill all 10,350
draft board
positions and 11,070 appeals board slots nationwide. Though this is an
unpopular
election year topic, military experts and influential members of
congress are
suggesting that if Rumsfeld's prediction of a "long, hard slog" in
Iraq and
Afghanistan (and permanent state of war on terrorism) proves accurate,
the U.S.
may have no choice but to draft.

The draft $28 million has been added to the 2004 selective service
system
budget to prepare for a military draft that could start as early as
June 15,
2005. Selective service must report to Bush on March 31, 2005 that the
system,
which has lain dormant for decades, is ready for activation.

Please see www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html
<http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html>
http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html
<http://www.sss.gov/perfplan_fy2004.html> to view the Selective
Service System
annual performance plan, fiscal year 2004.

Please take the time to write your congressman and let them know how
you feel
about this legislation.

www.house.gov <http://www.house.gov/>

http://www.house.gov <http://www.house.gov/>

www.senate.gov <http://www.senate.gov/>

http://www.senate.gov <http://www.senate.gov/>

Please also write to your representatives and ask them why they
aren't telling
their constituents about these bills and write to newspapers and other
media
outlets to ask them why they're not covering this important story.

www.hslda.org/legislation/national/2003/s89/default.asp
<http://www.hslda.org/legislation/national/2003/s89/default.asp>

http://www.hslda.org/legislation/national/2003/s89/default.asp
<http://www.hslda.org/legislation/national/2003/s89/default.asp> >
entitled the
Universal National service Act of 2003, "to provide for the common
defense by
requiring that all young persons (age 18-26) in the United States,
including
women, perform a period of military service or a period of civilian
service in
furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for
other
purposes." These active bills currently sit in the committee on armed
services.

Dodging the draft will be more difficult than those from the Vietnam
era.
College and Canada will not be options. In December, 200 1, Canada and
the U.S.
signed a "smart border declaration," which could be used to keep
would-be draft
dodgers in. Signed by Canada's minister of foreign affairs, John
Manley, and
U.S. Homeland Security director, Tom Ridge, the declaration involves a
30 point
plan which implements, among other things, a "pre-clearance agreement"
of people
entering and departing each country. Reforms aimed at making the draft
more
equitable along gender and class lines also eliminates higher
education as a
shelter.

Underclassmen would only be able to postpone service until the end of
their
current semester. Seniors would have until the end of the academic
year.

What to do: Tell your friends, Contact your legislators and ask them
to oppose
these bills

Just type "congress" into the aol search engine and input your zip
code. A list
of your reps will pop up with a way to email them directly. We can't
just sit
and pretend that by ignoring it, it will go away.

This is by no means the worst thing that will happen if Bush is
re-elected, but
it's one of the fastest things.

(On another note -- see below my signature for well-documented
information
regarding Cheney's efforts to help Saddam Hussein and Iran at a time
when they
were listed by US State department as "state-sponsors" of terrorism.)

HOPE IS ON THE WAY: Kerry-Edwards '04
Click Here to Contribute:
https://contribute.johnkerry.com/contribute.html?team=54
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing.
Edmund Burke