ch-scene - more stuff this weekend in durham

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Jeffrey Herrick <herrickjeffrey AT yahoo.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: more stuff this weekend in durham
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

I didn't know anything about these 2 events until I got sorta involved.
So here they are:

Where/what: Ringside, MoveOn benefit
Date: Friday, September 17, 2004
Time: 7pm-10pm
More Info: http://www.triangle180.com/
How I'm involoved: I'll play in "Fluff Chick Duo" at about 8:51

Also: Snacks, Drinks, DJs Cooper & lord bizarre, Raffle, and lots of fun.
Suggested donation at the door is $10

Second event!
SENSES OF ESCAPE: MULTIMEDIA COLLABORATIONS
Time: 8:30-?
Where: Durham Arts Initiative (DAI), after party Jo&Jo's
huh?: see long press release below
How I'm involoved: I'll make random noise with Sourgut (Matt Fisher, Nathan
Brown, Phil Blank, Matt Gocke..) at the afterparty ~12AM

official press release:

SENSES OF ESCAPE: MULTIMEDIA COLLABORATIONS
Contact
Caleb Smith
topography809 AT yahoo.com
919-308-3406
Durham Arts Initiative (DAI)
122 West Main Street
919-956-8525
DurhamAI.org

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: AUGUST 31, 2004
SENSES OF ESCAPE: COLLABORATIONS BETWEEN VISUAL ARTISTS AND
MUSICIANS-THE DURHAM ASSOCIATION FOR DOWNTOWN ARTS (DADA), THE DURHAM
ARTS INITIATIVE (DAI), AND DALLOWAY RECORDS PRESENT A NIGHT OF LIVE
PERFORMANCES AND VIDEO SCREENINGS,
SATURDAY, SEPT. 18, 8:30PM.
Senses of Escape brings painters, filmmakers, and photographers
together with composers and bands for multimedia experiments. The
event includes live performances by visual artists and musicians
working together, as well as several video screenings. Suggested
donation is $7, and proceeds benefit the DAI's ongoing support of
local artists.
Topography, an instrumental rock quartet, will perform with visual
artist Jonathan Blackwell, who will layer painting and live video
projection. Durham composers pulsoptional will play new music for
silent films recently brought out of the vaults. The Torch Marauder's
show will mix sound, video, and costumes. Singer/electronic musician
Scott Carey will accompany projected images by photographer/visual
artist Amy Nolan. Films include Jim Haverkamp and Brett Ingram's
documentary, "Armor of God," about the Clang Quartet; Jason
Middleton's "Postindustrial Symphony" (with Analogue II); and Jason
Klarl's "Cowboy Sam" (music by Matt Burchett).
The driving desire behind Senses of Escape is to test how different
expressive forms can work together-but the event is not designed only
for the artists. It is designed with the audience in mind, with a
sense that modern spectators are agile creatures, able to encounter
many forms at once and to assemble them, creatively. Contemporary
multimedia spectators become involved in making the spectacle. When
they enter the collaboration, they exit the isolation of the ordinary
theater, the passivity of the ordinary gallery. They achieve a sense
of collectivity in action: a sense of escape.
Separately, the artists of Senses of Escape have been enriching
Triangle culture for years. Durham's puloptional has appeared at Duke
University, Chapel Hill's 'Round the Town Fest, and, most recently, at
Joe and Jo's. Topography has rocked Raleigh's Artspace, Chapel Hill's
Go! Studios, and Durham's Ringside, and DADA produced their multimedia
spectacular, "Robot Body Flesh," at the Durham Arts Council. Scott
Carey and Amy Nolan are regulars at Artspace's "Stammer" events, and
sightings of the Torch Marauder have been reported all over the map.
The filmmakers have been honored and screened around the country, from
Flicker to Slamdance.