ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] SALE this week + Readings Thursday & Saturday

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] SALE this week + Readings Thursday & Saturday
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 14:30:44 -0400

Internationalist Books / Sept. 14 2004 / Summer might as well be over.. we're moving quickly into our usual state of high autumn activity, with many exciting events planned and amazing books and magazines stuffing our shelves. Unless noted otherwise, all activities and events will take place at the store, 405 West Franklin Street, Chapel Hill. Call us at 919-942-1740 or email if you have any questions.

FIRST: PLEASE REGISTER TO VOTE IF YOU HAVE NOT YET DONE SO. THE DEADLINE IN NORTH CAROLINA IS OCTOBER 8. FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW TO REGISTER, OR STOP BY THE STORE TO FILL OUT A FORM. THANK YOU!
https://ssl.capwiz.com/congressorg/e4/nvra/? language=en&action=form&state=NC

SALE THIS WEEK WEDNESDAY-SUNDAY
Internationalist Books will be having a sale this week! From tomorrow, Wednesday September 15 through Sunday the 19th, you can take advantage our squirrel-like tendencies to keep books and magazines stashed away on the darkest storage shelves as we pull it all out and pile it all up for you to buy cheap. Donations are always welcome, but please consider the quality and saleability of books before you start pulling the moldy horror novels out of the back of the garage!

READING: RICHARD BUTNER & DAVID NAHM
Thursday, September 16 at 8 PM -- Richard Butner will read from his recently published chapbook Horses Blow Up Dog City & Other Stories (Small Beer Press). Butner is a freelance writer living in Raleigh, NC. His stories have appeared in magazines and anthologies such as Trampoline (edited by Kelly Link), When The Music's Over (edited by Lewis Shiner) and Crossroads (edited by F. Brett Cox and Andy Duncan). His story "Ash City Stomp" was recently shortlisted for the Fountain Award. David Connerley Nahm will be reading short fiction. He is in the pop band Audubon Park and has stories in (or forthcoming in) Lady Churchill's Rosebud Wristlet, The Surgery of Modern Warfare and other fine literary publications.

DESERT CITY POETRY SERIES with JOSEPH DONAHUE and JAMES BRASFIELD
Saturday, September 18 at 8 PM -- Joseph Donahue is the author of Incidental Eclipse, the just published In This Paradise from Carolina Wren Press, Terra Lucida and is a Duke English professor and collector of left-handed chainsaws. James Brasfield is the winner of the PEN Award in Translation in 2000 for his work on The Selected Poems of Oleh Lysheha, an NEA Fellow, Fullbright Scholar and the undisputed holder of the spaghetti eating world's record for twenty years. Celebrate the beginning of the Desert City 2004-2005 season!

BOOK CLUB: What's The Matter With Kansas: How Conservatives Won the Heart of America by Thomas Frank
Announcing our next book club title, by Kansas native Thomas Frank, founding editor of The Baffler and a contributor to The Nation and Harper's magazines. Frank examines the "thiry-year backlash" of conservative populist revolt against the "liberal" establishment. How did the Republican Party build an alliance between blue-collar Midwesterners and Wall Street corporate interests? We'll be discussing the book in depth at an Internationalist Book Club meeting on October 18 at 7 PM. Please stop by the store and purchase a copy if you'd like to join the discussion.

NEW ARRIVALS: BOOKS

Art Spiegelman - In The Shadow of No Towers

Cornel West - Democracy Matters

Juliet Schor - Born to Buy : The Commercialized Child And The New Consumer Culture

Thomas Frank - What's the Matter With Kansas : How Conservatives Won the Heart of America

Ted Rall - Generalissimo El Busho : Essays & Cartoons on the Bush Years

Peace Signs : The Anti-War Movement Illustrated

Aaron McGruder - Birth of a Nation : A Comic Novel

BOOKS ON THE WAY

Get Your War On II

Kitty Kelley - Family : The Real Story of the Bush Dynasty

Seymour Hersh - Chain Of Command: The Road From 9/11 To Abu Ghraib

Sickness and Wealth: The Corporate Assault on Global Health

Billionaires For Bush: How To Rule the World for Fun and Profit

The Emerging Police State: Resisting Illegitimate Authority

Dime's Worth Of Difference: Beyond The Lesser Of Two Evils

Yes Men: The True Story Of The End Of The World Trade Organization

NEW ARRIVALS: MAGAZINES ETC.

New T-Shirts, tote bags and stickers from Debri Field - What Would Joan Jett Do? and much more..

This Is A Magazine - new copies of issues #1, 2 & 3 of this amazing Italian graphics magazine from the publishers of www.thisisamagazine.com. Internationalist Books get a "thank you" in #3.

Greenpepper Magazine - politics & globalization from the Netherlands (in English), very beautifully printed and smartly written.

The Drama #3 - homegrown arts & graphics goodness from Virginia

Swindle - we're trying to get more, but right now we only have one copy of this,
Shepard Fairey's new hardcover (!) magazine. Grandmaster Flash on the cover.

N+1 Magazine - promising first issue of politics and intellect

ARKITIP - magazine as LA art gallery - features Neck Face & more - comes with temporary tattoos

PEELzine and Half Empty - two new art magazines that each come bagged with a bunch of stickers. PEELzine focuses entirely on stickers and stencil art; Half Empty just seems to like stickers.

##

If you are not a member, please consider becoming a member or just making a donation to help keep your favorite bookstore happy and healthy.

http://internationalistbooks.org/about/members/

thankyou.

Internationalist Books
405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
919-942-1740
www.internationalistbooks.org

  • [Internationalist Books] SALE this week + Readings Thursday & Saturday, Internationalist Books, 09/14/2004