ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] Internationalist After Hours at Weaver St Market on Thursday

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] Internationalist After Hours at Weaver St Market on Thursday
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 12:49:00 -0400

COME TO WEAVER ST MARKET AFTER HOURS ON THURSDAY

Internationalist Books will be cooking at After Hours at Weaver Street Market in Carrboro on Thursday, Sept 2, from 6-8 PM. We'll be serving hamburgers & veggie burgers, corn and caesar salad. (This is the make-up day for the August event that was rained out). This is an important fundraising event for the Internationalist, so please come out and support us!

ANNUAL MEMBER MEETING

Please join us for our Annual Member Meeting on Sunday, September 12, from 3-5 PM at The ArtsCenter, 300-G East Main Street in Carrboro (in the same plaza as the Cat's Cradle and Amante Pizza). If you're not a member yet or if your membership has expired, please stop by the store or make a donation on our website. http://www.internationalistbooks.org/about/members/

DONATE BOOKS FOR OUR BOOK SALE

We'll be having a sale later this month to clear out some books and magazines that have been sitting on the shelves for too long and to share some goodies we've excavated from storage. We need room for all the great new titles we're getting in -- see "New Arrivals" below for more information on that. Book donations are welcome, but please consider whether books you would like to donate will be saleable. Sale dates TBA. Thank you!

UPCOMING EVENTS

September 2 -- a peaceful picket and rally outside the NC Republican Headquarters in Raleigh (1506 Hillsborough St.) to protest against Bush, the war in Iraq and the long list of Bush Administration policies, both foreign and domestic, that are killing and hurting people around the world and here at home. A permit has been obtained for Thursday Sept. 2nd, from 6:30-9:30 PM, the last night of the Republican National Convention, when Bush will give his acceptance speech. Police are requiring that all posters and banners must be no larger than 2ft x 2ft. For more info, call Jack at 919-490-4609.

September 16 -- Richard Butner will read from his recently published chapbook HORSES BLOW UP DOG CITY & OTHER STORIES (Small Beer Press) on Thursday, September 16 at 8 PM. Butner is a freelance writer living in Raleigh, NC. His stories have appeared in magazines and anthologies such as TRAMPOLINE (edited by Kelly Link), WHEN THE MUSIC'S OVER (edited by Lewis Shiner) and CROSSROADS (edited by F. Brett Cox and Andy Duncan). His story "Ash City Stomp" was recently shortlisted for the Fountain Award. You can check his website http://www.richardbutner.com/ for more information.

September 18 -- Desert City Poetry Reading with Joseph Donahue and James Brasfield -- We're very pleased to be the new host for the mostly-monthly Desert City Poetry Series, and to have Ken Rumble helping us out with our poetry section. Joseph Donahue is the author of INCIDENTAL ECLIPSE and WORLD WELL BROKEN; this reading will celebrate the publication of his latest chapbook IN THIS PARADISE by Carolina Wren Press. James Brasfield won the 2000 PEN Award in Translation for his translation of the Russian poet Oleh Lysheha's Selected Poems. In 2001 Brasfield won an NEA fellowship in poetry. His own poems have appeared in PRAIRIE SCHOONER, CONNECTICUT REVIEW, and CRAZYHORSE, among others. You can also check out the Desert City weblog for information, schedule updates, and more: http://desertcity.blogspot.com/

November 2 -- ELECTION DAY -- if you're not registered to vote or if you've moved since the last time you registered, please stop by the store to fill out a voter registration form.

November 3 -- Microcosm tour -- from Portland, Oregon, more details TBA! http://www.microcosmpublishing.com/

November 4 -- Mamaphonic tour -- with Bee Lavender, editor of the new book MAMAPHONIC, about mothering and the creative process. The book includes confessions and conversations about the true, exhilarating, entertaining, and difficult aspects of remaining creative while raising kids. http://www.mamaphonic.com/

NEW BOOKS

We have a whole slew of new poetry titles in, carefully selected by Desert City's Ken Rumble, as well as many other great new books. Here's a small selection:

Doubled Flowering: From the Notebooks of Araki Yasusada
The California Poem by Eleni Sikelianos
The Lichtenberg Figures by Ben Lerner
Our Word Is Our Weapon: Selected Writings by Subcommandante Marcos
33 Things Every Girl Should Know About Women's History: From Suffragettes to Skirt Lengths to the E.R.A.
Painting and Guns by William S. Burroughs
The Madness of King George: The Ingenious Insanity of Our Most "Misunderestimated" President
Radical Priorities by Noam Chomsky
From the Folks Who Brought You the Weekend: A Short, Illustrated History of Labor in the United States
Multitude by Michael Hardt and Antonio Negri

MAGAZINE SPOTLIGHT: LTTR

LTTR is an annual collectively made art journal from a community of queer and feminist artists, writers and cultural producers. The first issue was titled "Lesbians To The Rescue" -- the second "Listen Translate Translate Record." Each issue is handmade and unique, with a format that defies magazine conventions. The new third issue is many loose pieces -- booklets and single sheets of paper -- wrapped in a screenprinted manila envelope and with the theme "Practice More Failure" -- seeking to enthuse process and practice as opposed to the masterpiece. Artists featured in LTTR 3 include Aisha Burnes, Carrie Moyer, Eileen Myles, Ulrike Mueller, Suzy Liar, Tammy Rae Carland, K8 Hardy and many others. We have limited copies available of each of the three issues. http://www.lttr.org/

NEW MAGAZINES

ARC (Art, Revolution, Culture)
AWOL (Political hip hop, spoken word, graphic art and poetry addressing militarism in America, from the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors -- includes a CD)
Elemental Underground
Half Empty (art zine, bagged with many different stickers in each issue)
Grooves
Industrial Nation ("all killer, no filler" -- dedicated to promoting industrial and experimental music)
LiP
N+1
PEELzine (stencil and street art)
Red Pepper
RE:UP
S.M.U.T. (what it sounds like)
Tablist
Thrasher (skate or die!)
Weed World (UK-based glossy magazine about...... weed)
Young Pioneer (small format travel 'zine)
+ new issues of your old favorites!

#####

Internationalist Books
www.internationalistbooks.org
405 W Franklin St
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
Monday-Saturday 11 AM - 8 PM
Sunday 11 AM - 6 PM
919-942-1740

!!!!!

  • [Internationalist Books] Internationalist After Hours at Weaver St Market on Thursday, Internationalist Books, 09/01/2004