ch-scene - Re: Durham Porch & Garage Music Series

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Lora Brooker <lbrooker AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: "Klaus, Bob" <BobKlaus AT clearchannel.com>
  • Subject: Re: Durham Porch & Garage Music Series
  • Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 14:53:54 -0400

Sure Bob, that's fine, cool that you're helping local talent get more exposure! Our link is http://www.team1512.com/home.html.

FYI to everyone:
From now on, the outdoors concert series which happens in historic Peabody Place should be referred to as "The Durham Porch & Garage Music Series". The new owners of Fowler's have recently withdrawn their financial support, hence the revised moniker. Along with their head accountant, they decided that there wasn't enough "community interest" in the music series for it to be a worthwhile investment. No doubt this makes perfect sense looking at a balance sheet, but I must respectfully disagree with their outside assessment of the Triangle's music community.

In order to honor existing obligations, I will be presenting our remaining 2004 shows on my own dime. Kind of an unexpected back to the basics...hope to see some of you next month...my staff and I would appreciate your support, especially on behalf of the performers.

Also, we could really use some music-loving volunteers. Perks include free admission for you +1 plus each volunteer gets free beer, a home-cooked dinner, and a swanky commemorative tee shirt. Please contact me directly if you're interested in helping out.

Upcoming events:
All concerts are general admission, feel free to bring a chair to set up in the blocked off parking lot area. Tickets $8 in advance through http://www.etix.com or $10 day of show (cash only at the door); children ten and younger get in free.

Sunday 9/12: Triangle Spread Your Wings Benefit Concert to Fight Breast Cancer. Morgan Imports Loading Dock Stage, 113 S. Gregson St, Durham NC. Americana Singer-Songwriter Showcase featuring Matthew Ryan, Sara Bell, Paul Burch, and Polecat Creek. Proceeds support Spread Your Wings volunteers and The Susan G. Komen Foundation. Doors/Box Office 1 pm, Music from 2-5 pm.
http://www.spreadyourwingsmusic.org.

Friday 9/24: Season Finale! Rock Grrll Night with The Butchies and The Pinkslips. Fowler's Back Porch Stage, 112 S. Duke St, Durham NC. High-energy punk/pop goddesses, all local ladies who bring the rock! We plan to invite some of the pre-teen/teen aged "Rock Camp for Girls" participants and their families to join us too. Doors/Box Office 6 pm, Music from 8-11 pm.

Take care,
Lora Brooker
Team 1512 Productions
Durham, NC