ch-scene - Stuff to do, week of August 12, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Stuff to do, week of August 12, 2004
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:27:35 -0400

Thursday, August 12
The Stoles, So I Had To Shoot Him [http://soihadtoshoothim.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Thursday, August 12
Velvet Teen [http://www.thevelvetteen.com/]
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

Matt Tomich, who used to play bass for both the Scaries & Sorry About Dresden, had this to say: "One of my favorite bands that's still together. In California and Seattle, these guys sell out Cradle-sized venues, but this is only their second East Coast tour. Catchy as all hell, their latest album is a magnum opus."

Thursday, August 12
Chrome Plated Apostles [http://www.demonbeach.com], Mullet Revolta [http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/entertainment/stories/7919entertainmentstorypage.html], Park Life [http://www.parklifeband.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, August 13
Ticonderoga [http://www.ticonderobics.com/], Vinyl Are My Pants [http://vinylaremypants.moonfruit.com/], Jupiter Sunrise [http://jupitersunrise.net/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Friday, August 13
Ugglians [http://www.ugglians.com], Section Eight
Durham Arts Initiative, Durham

Dual CD-release party for these two Durham bands, both of whom would like nothing more than to make you squinch up your face into a "ewwwww" kind of expression. Durham Arts Initiative is on Main Street in Durham & was once known as Mr. Shoe.

Friday, August 13
Alli With an I [http://www.alliwithani.com/], The Crimson Spectre [http://www.slavemagazine.com/crimsonspectre/], Folly, Paulson [http://www.paulsonisaband.com/]
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

Friday, August 13
North Elementary [http://www.northelementary.com], Schooner [http://www.schoonermusic.com], Foxtail
Kings, Raleigh

Friday, August 13
The Lost Sounds [http://www.geocities.com/lostsounds/lost_sounds.html], Leadfoot [http://www.leadfoot.net/], Chrome Plated Apostles [http://www.demonbeach.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, August 14
Spader, Heads on Sticks, The Sibling Project, Another Tombstone Dream, The Know
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

Saturday, August 14
Arrogance [http://www.arrogance.us/], The Woods [http://home.earthlink.net/~taoakteam/index.html], The Hanks [http://www.thehanks.us/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Chapel Hill/Raleigh's Arrogance verged on hugeness throughout the 1970s, and while they never quite broke through, they did deliver one Mr. Don Dixon to the world, who in turn helped birth "Murmur." And the rest, as they say, was history.

Openers The Woods & the Hanks were both local mainstays in the 1980s, which means that the cumulative age of everybody onstage this night is gonna top 4 million or so.

Saturday, August 14
Jett Rink [http://www.jett-rink.com/], Gerty [http://www.gerty.org], Fashion Design
Ooh La Latte, Durham

Fashion Design are the pop-friendliest of the local 80s/90s-brit-invasion-style revivalists--they swirl and churn and echo/chorus all over the place, but the vocal melodies nearly always soar. Plus they managed a faux-impromptu My Bloody Valentine cover 2 weeks ago at Ooh La Latte that had even the hardcore 80s college-radio nerds dropping jaws.

Gerty are on the 80s new-wave revivalist tip as well, but if there's a UK influence, it's Duran Duran more than Jesus & Mary Chain. They blip & bop & I'm gonna challenge you right now to stay still throughout their set.

Jett Rink are deadly disco-punk-surf fiends; you don't need me to tell you that. One note: their average BPM has been dropping lately, and I for one am hoping for a reversal in that trend. Step!

Saturday, August 14
Straight 8s [http://www.straight8s.com], The Tremors [http://www.tremorsrockabilly.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Double shot of three-piece rockabilly, of the standup-bass variety. Don't forget: if the bass player stands on his bass, he owes the bar a round of beers.

Saturday, August 14
The Weapon, Can Joann [http://www.canjoann.com/]
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

Sunday, August 15
North Elementary [http://www.northelementary.com]
WXDU 88.7 FM, Durham

North Elementary are a six-piece *and* they have violin, which is probably the second-most-difficult configuration we ever deal with in the XDU lounge (singing drummers being the first). Two of them were original founding members of the Comas, and they've continued that band's original mission of making woozy-stoned popmuzik, only slower, murkier, and with more weird falsetto & random endings halfway through the song.

5:00 p.m, 88.7 FM or www.wxdu.org.

Sunday, August 15
A.C. Newman [http://www.acnewman.net/], Rogue Wave [http://www.roguewavemusic.com/], The Neins [http://www.theneins.ca]
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

This is the last show ever at Go, at least under current ownership/management/whatever. It has been a good long run, though certainly not long enough (longer than I would've predicted when Scott opened Room 4 as a rockclub in fall 1998, though). Thank you, and goodnight. Oh, and say 'hi' to the L&S when you see her up in rockclub heaven, willya?

A.C. Newman is a New Pornographer, Rogue Wave are on SubPop, and The Neins are from Canada, and are *not* the local band The Nein, contrary to what you might have read elsewhere.

Sunday, August 15
Makeshift, Maple Stave [http://www.maplestave.com], Red Skeleton
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Sunday, August 15
Brant Bjork and the Bros [http://www.brantbjork.com/], Dude Garden
Kings, Raleigh

Monday, August 16
Oneida [http://www.enemyhogs.com], All Astronauts [http://www.allastronauts.com/], Phon
Kings, Raleigh

Oneida are from Brooklyn, and over their past few releases they've wandered further & further into the esoteric wall-of-psych-noise / bad-trip paranoid stoner freakout jamz realm. Drummer Kid Millions writes their tour diaries which mostly consist of him getting stoned & forgetting (a) songs and (b) everything else that happened to them all the way across Europe. Nevertheless, they are huge and frightfully loud.

All Astronauts are from Winston-Salem and they make music like a giant swarm of hornets that knows how to sing.

Tuesday, August 17
Kung Flude [http://www.kungflude.com/], The Ghost of Rock, Throw Rag [http://www.throwrag.com/]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Tuesday, August 17
Jim White [http://www.luakabop.com/jim_white/], Shannon O'Connor
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, August 17
Phantom Creeps [http://www.necro-tonerecords.com/bands_phantom.html], Crimson Ghosts [http://www.necro-tonerecords.com/bands_crimsonghosts.html]
Kings, Raleigh

Two somewhat gimmicky bands from the Boston area involving John Kozik of Anal Cunt. One of them (I can't quite recall which is which) does surf-instrumental covers of Misfits songs. The other is a ghoul-garage-rock outfit, a la the Cramps. Just so we're clear, neither of them bears any relationship or connection to Crimson Spectre, the brilliant Greensboro hardcore band.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------
the alt.music.chapel-hill guide to the triangle