ch-scene - [Internationalist Books] events and arrivals

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Internationalist Books <ibooks AT internationalistbooks.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: internationalistbooks AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Internationalist Books] events and arrivals
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 12:05:15 -0400

Greetings to all from Ibooks. Just a quick notification for some really great events later this week...you should definitely check it out. Here's the thumbnail details...

Weaver Street After Hours -- 7/29 6-8 pm, on the lawn at Weaver Street
Yellow City Revolution -- 7/29 6 pm @ Ibooks
Merge-Fest -- 7/29 - 8/1, Chapel Hill and Durham

First, Thursday night will be a busy one for Chapel Hill's oldest independent bookstore. We will be serving yummy veggie burgers and not-so veggie (beef) burgers at WSM. The fundraiser will benefit Ibooks, and your tummy, so come out and enjoy the mid-summer festivities while supporting Internationalist.

Also Thursday, at the bookstore, St. Louis zinesters and punk rockers from the Yellow City Revolution will present Carissa van den Berk's new novel _May It Come Quickly_, and will hold a CREATIVE WRITING workshop for your enjoyment. After the event at Ibooks, acoustic punk rocker Rachel Jacobs will perform in a music and poetry show at the Nightlight on Rosemary St. Book event starts at 6 pm, and the music and festivities at Nightlight will commence at 8 pm. A full evening of radical entertainment.

And, as if that weren't enough, Ibooks will be tabling all weekend long at Mergefest, a 4-day party to mark the 15th year of local music label Merge Records. Thursday night we will table at the Cat's Cradle...but the show is sold out, so if you have a ticket we will see you there. If not, may we suggest the aforementioned?

AS FOR NEW ARRIVALS, we have a great selection of magazines and new books. There is no better time to hate George Bush, and Ibooks is the place to get your righteous indignation on. Check out our "Bush-Hater" section, complete with inflatable "Bush-occhio" dolls, dressable Bush magnets, and even Bush voodoo dolls, pins included. And if you haven't seen our massive bumper sticker attack on the man called dubya, then you must run, don't walk, to 405 West Franklin and check them out.

A few titles...
Against All Enemies
Frontier Justice
The George Bush Coloring Book
House of Bush, House of Saud
Forbidden Truth
Bushwomen
50 Reasons Not to Vote for Bush
The Iron Triangle
The Buying of the President 2004
...and many more titles taking on the subject of American imperialism. Don't go 'round uninformed, these are critical times and ignorant is not what you want to be.

We also have an amazing selection of reprinted Marshall McLuhan media critiques -- still trenchant and on-point after almost three decades. New anarchism titles; great new fiction including Haruki Murakami, Nick Cave, Jonathan Lethem, David Sedaris, Phillip K. Dick; environmental studies by Vandana Shiva; and a selection of graphic works including Stencil Pirates, God Made Dirt and Dirt Don't Hurt, Lost, Enamelized, and others. Exciting stuff.

Don't get me started on magazines, suffice it to say that we have what you want. Get your copy of Found magazine before they all sell out.

Whew. That's enough for now. All in all, a good week for your humble independent bookstore.
Y'all come out Thursday and say howdy at Weaver Street, and do check out one of the many shows in the area. You'll surely be glad you did.

Matt Robinson
Manager, Ibooks
###

Internationalist Books is a volunteer run collective, a not-for-profit
bookstore, a progressive community center, and a community owned cooperative
in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

405 W Franklin Street
Chapel Hill, NC 27516
internationalistbooks.org
919-942-1740

  • [Internationalist Books] events and arrivals, Internationalist Books, 07/27/2004