ch-scene - Remember (patent trivia)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bis "sp�ter" <thebackyardbbq AT yahoo.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Remember (patent trivia)
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 04:35:12 -0700 (PDT)

Having grown up in SC, I could not remember why John
Lennon compelled us to "remember the 5th of November"
in his song "Remember." So I did a websearch. In
addition to the obvious answers of Guy Fawkes Day and
nursery rhymes incorporating references thereunto, I
saw where the patent for the automobile was issued in
1895 on the 5th of November.

At this point, I did remember someone on this list
remarking how foolish a patent on the automobile would
be. So I looked a little deeper, and whaddaya know,
yep, indeed, even the automobile was patented at the
onset. George Selden got the patent.

Here's a not-so-shabby link if yr bored and looking
for trivia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_B._Selden

E.