ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of June 4, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady <grady AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of June 4, 2004
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:01:40 -0400

Noise! Benefits!

Friday, June 4
Ron Anderson's PAK [http://www.ronanderson-molecules.com/],
Ahleuchatistas, Sentinel
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Ron Anderson was a cofounder of Philadelphia/NY noise-rockers RAT AT
RAT R in the early 80s and the San Francisco noise band the Molecules
in the 90s. In between he's played in a typically endless series of
variations & recombinations & side-projects & collaborations,
including collabs with Japan's Ruins, and the inevitable
something-or-other with John Zorn. He formed his current band, PAK, in
2000 or so. Dunno how pleasant it (or he) will be, but it's pretty
likely to be mega-spazzmo.

Also on the bill, Asheville's Ahleuchatistas & Chapel Hill grinders
Sentinel.

Friday, June 4
Last of the Great Sideshow Freaks, Jackie O Pillbox
[http://www.jackieopillbox.com/]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 5
Kingsbury Manx, Sorry About Dresden
[http://www.sorryaboutdresden.com], Fake Swedish
[http://fakeswedish.4t.com/index.html], My Dear Ella
[http://www.mydearella.com]
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

This is a benefit for the Triangle Land Conservancy, which like the
nat'l version is dedicated to buying up private lands and holding them
in trust or transferring them to governments to be held as
environmental buffers/open natural spaces/parklands. Utterly crucial,
especially with the massive development pressure impacting every
Triangle county.

Bands include veteran local indie-rockers Sorry About Dresden, the
hushed-up indie pinkfloyd-meets-country of Kingsbury Manx, and the
bombast of Fake Swedish & My Dear Ella.

Saturday, June 5
Kennebec, Lud [http://members.aol.com/~ludkmr/], Terry Anderson
[http://www.terryandersonrocks.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

This is a benefit/showcase for the Raleigh organization Axis of
Change, dedicated to getting Bush the fuck out the White House. Lud
are utterly brilliant. I don't have personal experience with the other
two, although I think my friend Xopher might be in Kennebec.

Saturday, June 5
Cool John Ferguson
[http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Saturday, June 5
Maple Stave [http://www.maplestave.com], Lucia Lie
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Sunday, June 6
Jonathan Richman [http://www.base.com/jonathan/jonathan.html]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

I really don't have to explain Jonathan Richman, but that doesn't mean
I love him any less. Even though his own feelings about the early
Modern Lovers material have apparently oscillated from rejection to
pride & back a few times over the course of his career, there's no
denying his brilliance as a songwriter & just plain obstinate weird
personality.

Tuesday, June 8
Movie Night [http://www.kingsbarcade.com]
Kings, Raleigh

Per Kings' website:

MOVIE NIGHT "Driver 23" & "The Atlas Moth"

"As an antidote for the bloated, manufactured rock stars of the MTV
generation, these films are packed with stranger-than-fiction human
comedy and down-to-earth realism. Driver 23 & The Atlas Moth document
7 years in the life of Dan Cleveland, a Minneapolis-based rock
guitarist/delivery man and his band, Dark Horse. In spite of, or
because of a complex obsessive-compulsive disorder, Dan is driven by
an existential need to simply accomplish. An intense optimist, he
meets all obstacles to his musical amibtions with uncanny
determination, amazing perseverancee, and strange "inventions" which
visualize frustrations and make tangible the workings of his mind.
Winners of 9 national/international film awards. This film has been
described as "Spinal tap meets Don Quixote"

9:00 doors.

Tuesday, June 8
Blackstrap, The Last Nerves
The Cave, Chapel Hill

Blackstrap are from Durham. They're what happens when old guys (like,
my age) get incredibly fucking angry at the government, *and* at the
relative unwillingness of "indie-rock" to express a comparable level
of anger. So they're punkrock in the falling-apart chaotic tradition
of Dead Kennedys. Their singer's a snotty young woman with a penchant
for black-patent bustiers, but then so was Jello Biafra.

The Last Nerves haven't yet figured out what they can & can't get away
with, which is something I adore in young bands. They seem to be
willing to try just about anything once, at least within the
parameters of gtr-bass-drums rock music with alternating male & female
vocals.

Wednesday, June 9
The Woggles [http://www.hostess.com/woggles/], Hate Bombs, The
Moaners
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, June 10
Regina Hexaphone [http://www.reginahexaphone.com]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is a CD-release party for Regina Hexaphone's new CD, which is
technically their 2nd, but they're treating it like their first,
presumably because they only gave copies of the first one to a handful
of people. However you count it, it's an excellent showcase for Sara
Bell's smart, somewhat world-weary country-rock-folk-whatever
songwriting.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------

  • Stuff to do, Week of June 4, 2004, grady, 06/04/2004