ch-scene - Fowler's Porch & Garage Music Series

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Lora Brooker <lbrooker AT mindspring.com>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Fowler's Porch & Garage Music Series
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:52:23 -0400

Hey y'all,

Team 1512 Productions is proud to announce the renaissance of the Fowler's Porch & Garage Music Series in downtown Durham near Brightleaf Square. Many thanks to the new owners of Fowler's, our generous sponsors including The City of Durham, and the grassroots community support which made this whole thing possible in the first place. For more info, please visit http://www.team1512.com.

Our 2004 season will include ten outdoors concerts on either Fowler's large covered back porch or the adjacent Morgan Imports loading dock stage and parking lot area. Shows will take place every other Friday night 8-11 pm from June through October, early enough for those of us with gardens, kids, regular jobs, or other morning commitments.

Unlike 2000-2001, the musical format will not be solely Americana. There will be some rootsy shows, but we will also be featuring garage rock, country, latin, indie pop, funk/soul, and some other goodies. Advance tickets ($8 most shows) and season passes ($75 for guaranteed entry to all shows) will be on sale shortly through http://www.etix.com but you can also buy tickets at the door, space permitting ($10 most shows).

Here are our first three concerts, all headliners confirmed:
Friday 6/11: Season Kickoff Concert!!! Twang: Two Dollar Pistols and Kevin Gordon Trio with Shannon O'Connor opening
Friday 6/25: Garage Rock: The Forty-Fives and The Greenhornes with The Loners opening
Friday 7/9: Female Folk/Roots/Rock: Tres Chicas and The Moaners with hopefully Danielle Howle opening

Immediately following each gig, there will be an official after-party at Federal, a cool new bar easy walking distance from Fowler's (two short blocks, only one block from the gated Brightleaf Square parking lot) http://www.thefederal.net. DJ Steve Gardner (WXDU, Sugar Hill Records) and others will be spinning vinyl, musician jam sessions may break out, and Federal will offer cheap drink specials and late night food. Plus they have a kickass new patio right next to the James Joyce pub for primo Durham people-watching.

So if you're looking to support/help grow a vibrant arts and music scene in downtown Durham, please come check out the Fowler's Porch & Garage Music Series. Like many others in our community, we are working hard to provide a homegrown alternative to that Clear Channel Event Center bullshit. As an independent music promoter, a small business owner, and a Durham homeowner, I plan to speak at the Durham City Council meeting on Monday June 7. I urge you to be there and help us raise hell to stop this thing from happening in our backyards.

Best regards,
Lora Brooker
Team 1512 Productions
Fowler's Porch & Garage Music Series
mailing list sign-up: http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/FowlersMusic/

  • Fowler's Porch & Garage Music Series, Lora Brooker, 05/26/2004