ch-scene - Re: Prince latenight

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Bo Williams <bo AT mrboboto.com>
  • To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Prince latenight
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:54:17 -0400

That Plum Crazy show is still one of the five greatest things I've ever seen.

grady AT ibiblio.org wrote:

OK, the only thing I've heard so far is that the traditional post-show Prince appearance will be at The Office in Raleigh. Can anyone confirm that they've also heard this from someone other than me?

I'll be out of town (why does this always happen?) but the reports from last time (if you recall, Prince hit the stage at an obscure joint called Plum Crazy after the show the last time he was in town) were so uniformly positive that I hadda pass this along, even though it's slightly more rumor-ish and less solid than I'd usually prefer.

The thread from the '97 appearance: http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&th=ba809086d33736fd&rnum=1

You really need to read Sean's whole post about the Walnut Creek show, but if you're pressed for time, here's the salient bit about the afterparty:

" As Bobo said the afterparty was at Plum Crazy, this huge dance club I had never known exsisted. After a madcap adventure of following Dave Heller's driving with Cy Rawl's directions we make it to Plum Crazy. It seems like it can fit around 800-1000, but no more than 300 were there. It took $20 and a ticket stub to get in ($25 w/o the stub). I had the amusing experience watching the 20 year old Claire T. Jarvis get asked "Are you over 21?" "Yes" "can I see some ID?" "Yeah" (She reaches into her pocket, clearly at a loss of what to do) "Don't worry about it, that's cool. Go on in." YES! Claire wins the badass award of the evening. Nerves of steel!

I was about 20 feet away from the stage, and since the crowd was pretty small (I'd say no more than 200 peeps around the stage), no one was more than 25 feet from the stage. So there was no jostling or pushing. In fact the crowd was the best behaved club crowd for a major act I've ever seen. For big shows at the cradle (or the god forsaken ritz) you get all kinds of crazy shoving and pushing. Not last night. Heaven.

So Prince comes out at 12:45 or so in a skintight midriff revealing green metallic shirt and really tight pants. He carried a scepter! He worked the crowd like a master. The NPG set down a funky groove and he would play some keyboards, then he would prance the tiny stage hamming it up playing with the crowd. He had complete and utter cointrol of his band. He'd stop them on a dime, tell members to drop out, tell them to solo. They played lots of funk standards (Booker T and the MG's "Green Onion," James Brown's "Talking Loud and Sayin Nothing." There was a weirdo disco cover, and bits of "Turn this mother out)" I could go on and on... He played for an hour and was called back onstage for one last Jam. At 2am we all head home. "

Ross