ch-scene - what is the differences between Realone player and real audio??

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: toc_mahoy AT yahoo.com (Perv, the Nerve Prattmeyer ©)
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: what is the differences between Realone player and real audio??
  • Date: 15 Apr 2004 13:33:38 -0700

Today I was trying to get audio streaming from WXDU and it would not
work on Realone player. It's seem to require an account with Real
Audio to hear @ 9.99$ per month. that sucks! OK I hate the popups I
used to get with ReaL Audio..so I hate that program..I think??. Now
I'm using Mac OS10.3 so WXYC works! with no real audio account! I'm
confounded by all this. I was hoping to get the ogg streaming file to
work with iTUnes but no dice.
Can someone explain the ins and outs of audio streaming..other than
Quicktime and Windows media player which I usually find satisfactory.
I really wonder why anyone would use anything but those two
formats...but maybe I'm just ignorant?