ch-scene - RE: Marshall Crenshaw

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: Kevin Grealey <Kgrealey AT McKinney-Silver.com>
  • To: 'RTP-area local music and culture' <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: Marshall Crenshaw
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:54:54 -0400

i know. i have to miss the saturday show. wedding out of town. he puts on a
great show.

KEVIN GREALEY
COPY EDITOR / PROOFREADER /

T / (919) 821 . 6547
F / (919) 821 . 6452
E / kgrealey AT mckinney-silver.com

> ----------

MCKINNEY / 333 CORPORATE PLAZA / RALEIGH / NC / 27601 /
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 11:44:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: "5er (martin)" <mdhall005 AT yahoo.com>
To: RTP-area local music and culture <ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: Re: Dan Neal

--- "Sue S." <dragonfly_777 AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> JGM asked:
> > I know he appeared in the N&O for a while, but I
> don't recall: was he an
> > actual
> > N&O writer or were they picking up from a
> syndicate?
>
> He was employed by the N&O's auto section, which
> falls under a
> different management structure than the newsroom
> proper. Essentially
> he was working for the advertising side of the
> paper.

mr neal was on the NPR show "the connection" a couple
of days ago (wednesday, i think - the days all run
together lately). he talked some about his days at
the N&O. had nothing but nice things to say from what
i heard. apparently he worked, officially, for the
classified ad sales department, and wrote his columns
as a part of the auto-advertising section, completley
sans editor. he sort of made it sound like he was
surprized he got away with it as long as he did, and
seemed to bear no ill will about his dismissal. of
course, if i wanted to play the cynic, this could be
dismissed as positive spin. but who wants that?

i did not hear any mention of the Independent though.

-5er who never read single column by mr neal in
either the N&O or the Indy, but who found the ones
archived on the LA Times site very entertaining.

=====
"I have always been a romantic, one of those people who believes that a woman
in pink circus tights holds all the secrets of the world." - Tom Robbins