ch-scene - Re: hello from david sullivan (magwheels , party time)

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: "DeVico.US" <devico68 AT devico.us>
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: hello from david sullivan (magwheels , party time)
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2004 19:19:19 GMT

good to see you still kicking the sounds out.Looks like Nicolas's label is
helping out greatly for you. ...and yea, I still pull out the ole Harlequin
cassette packaging when in need for inspiration.

DeVico

"treatkor" <david AT treatkor.com> wrote in message
news:5440d013.0401300723.57dd8993 AT posting.google.com...
> hello,
> david sullivan here, big smiles to anyone who might remember me. this
> message is total self-promotion and i'm only posting to
> alt.music.chapel-hill because i used to live in raleigh and greensboro
> and played in bands there. here's what i've been up to lately:
> my new rock band is called "Party Time", it's me and John Sherman from
> the Mercury Birds, and Bryan Giles from Last of the Juanitas, and two
> other peoples.
> you can hear what it sounds like and see what it looks like here:
> http://www.partytimerock.com
> if you liked the Mercury Birds, or Shiny Beast, or Last of the
> Juanitas, you might like it.
>
> and my "noise" project called 'magwheels' is still alive and kicking.
> it is ambient/noise created with processed guitars, field recordings,
> noise, pedals, and computer. some of you might remember magwheels from
> the wifflefist release or the cognitive mapping comp.
>
> from reviews:
> --- "post-apocalyptic ambient noise with a warm emotional glow...", "A
> mix of
> cinematic beauty and decay is the easiest way to describe the music of
> Magwheels.
> A world where post-rock guitars meet noise drones head on."
> -wetworksezine.com
>
> - "Slow drones diving in a mist of noises and bleak, scarce and
> melancholic
> guitars form the core...", "combination of noise and emotional
> atmospheres.
> Long, encompassing and hypnotic, saturated soundscapes fill the air in
> a calm
> but rich way. Rich in low frequencies and small grinding details...",
> "Far from
> any kitsch or gothic 'darkness', Magwheels sounds like a bastard child
> of
> Godspeed You Black Emperor and Swans, left alone to starve and reduced
> to a
> definitely lo-fi and destructured music." - recycleyourears.com
>
> ---"When not pursuing pink "Hello Kitty" hues, huge lumbering delay
> lines
> stumble into tar pits of distortion until the entire vibrating mass is
> hauled
> down into the dark and screaming murk. The amount of feedback used in
> the reverb
> algorithms is such that this should be a constant V/Vm digital clip
> fest but
> however this was ultimately achieved the result is warm and thick
> enough
> (production-wise) to be poured over ice cream. The lighter sections
> are almost
> childish with their blissful enthusiasm, upwards little plinking riffs
> which
> sound more toy piano than six string and which almost embarrass the
> listener
> they are so rosy cheeked. As hope fades however the incoming storm
> [...]

  • Re: hello from david sullivan (magwheels , party time), DeVico.US, 02/01/2004