ch-scene - Stuff to do, Week of January 14, 2004

ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: RTP-area local music and culture

  • From: grady AT ibiblio.org
  • To: ch-scene AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Stuff to do, Week of January 14, 2004
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:47:40 -0500

Wednesday, January 14
Shark Quest [http://www.mrg2000.com/merge/bio.html?id=sharkquest],
Cutter
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

Got this from our friend Jim Haverkamp, who's been busting ass for
this film for the past god-knows-how-long:

A message to all the North Carolina folks on the list--the clock is
ticking--we are feverishly getting ready to pack up our clay dudes and
videotapes and plunge into the strange world of the Slamdance Film
Festival, where "Monster Road" will have its official premiere on
January 21.

But before we go, we wanted to invite you to a sendoff party /
fundraiser this Wednesday, January 14, at GO! Studios in Carrboro, NC.
Shark Quest headlines the show, they are the folks who did the utterly
fantastic score for the film. The proceeds from the party will help us
get out to Utah and
keep the xerox machine humming as we make billions of flyers to
blanket Park City (and drink thousands of javas to survive the 9
degree weather).

Here's the lineup:

-Show starts around 10 pm
-First up is CUTTER--a side project of Shark Quest's Laird Dixon
-Then a short preview of the film to whet your appetite
-And finally, SHARK QUEST takes over to show us how it's really done

Admission is $6, GO is located at 100-F Brewer Lane in Carrboro (near
Crook's Corner). Their web site can be found at:
[http://catscradle.com/go.html] http://catscradle.com/go.html

More info about the film can be found at our web site:
[http://www.brighteyepictures.com] http://www.brighteyepictures.com

Wednesday, January 14
The Strugglers [http://www.thestrugglers.org/], Erie Choir
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

Strugglers make mournful, warbly-voiced folk-country-rock stuff that
falls into the same general ballpark as Palace or one of those other
chilly midwestern singer-songwriter bands. My friends who've seen them
tend to come back raving.

Erie Choir are the quiet, little-bit-sad side project of Sorry About
Dresden singer/guitarist Eric Roehrig. They have an EP which you
should ask them about when you see them, because you need it.

Wednesday, January 14
Cool John Ferguson
[http://www.musicmaker.org/artistroster/Cooljohn.htm]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Thursday, January 15
Eugene Chadbourne [http://www.eugenechadbourne.com/]
Greensboro College, Greensboro

This event kicks off the 10+ day "Chadfest 2004" celebration of the
life & works of the groundbreaking and somewhat demented Greensboroian
Dr. Eugene Chadbourne, who has spent big chunks of the last 30 years
trying to erode the boundaries between the various indigenous American
musics, specifically country & jazz. Here is the lineup/blurb for
this, the opening night:

H.B.F. Memorial Chapel.
Chadfest 2004 Gala Opening
7:30 p.m.
From the Insect and Western catalogue
The Cricket in My Life
Song For My Ant Lion
Eight Brief Portraits of Fecal Worms
plus
New Directions in Appalachian Music and free improvisation groupings
w. David Doyle, French horn and mandolin
Martin Klapper, toys and electronics
Carrie Shull, oboe and English horn
David Fox, piano, keyboards, pipe organ
Scott Manring, dobro, banjo, guitar
Mike Teague, tuba & brass instruments
Admission charge: $5

Thursday, January 15
The Rosebuds [http://www.therosebuds.com/], Bellafea
[http://www.bellafea.com/]
Ace's Basement, Greensboro

Rosebuds and Bellafea are in the midst of a whirlwind 3-day tour
around the state, and this stop finds them at the picturesque Ace's
Basement, which reminds me a whole lot of a church-basement rec-room,
if by "church" I mean "crack-den motel."

Thursday, January 15
Oxford Collapse [http://www.oxfordcollapse.com/], Jett Rink
[http://www.jett-rink.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

I'm told Oxford Collapse are from NYC. Jett Rink are from Durham, and
they're about five times more tightly-wound these days than they were
before their lonnnng hiatus. Their CD was apparently the #1 record of
2003 on WXDU Durham, so there you go.

Thursday, January 15
Section Eight, Razzle [http://www.chooglin.com]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Section Eight are keeping the bitter spirit of Big Black alive in
Durham, with 2 Rickenbacker basses and a drummer so weird that he may
as well be a drum machine. Don't let people lead you astray with
stories about the Pirate Song; their best work is vitriolic & far more
anti-Bush/Ashcroft than, well, just about any other local band I can
think of.

Razzle are also on this bill; they're a metal band, but they don't
have much hair, nor much leather (well, Bob has a leather jacket he
wears when it's cold). They *do* have masterful classic dual-guitar
harmonies and a weird mix of intentionally over-the-top instrumentals,
unintelligible post-indie-rock rants, and quintessentially metal songs
involving dragons and swords and stuff.

Friday, January 16
Eugene Chadbourne [http://www.eugenechadbourne.com/]
Bickett Gallery, Raleigh

This is the 2nd night of the rotating, nearly-state-wide celebration
of the many years of Dr. Eugene Chadbourne known as Chadfest 2004.
Here's what we know about the lineup of this one:

"An Evening of Insect and Western and Free Improvisation"
including
The Capture of the Queen Ant in the Empty Field (for percussionist and
ensemble)
The Cricket In My Life
Song for My Ant Lion
David Fox, keyboards
Carrie Shull, oboe and English horn
Martin Klapper, toys and electronics
David Menestres, contrabass
Ian Davis, percussion
David Doyle, French horn and mandolin
Michael Jackson, clarinet, prepared guitar, synthesizer

Friday, January 16
The Pink Slips, Schooner, The Greatest Hits, Proof, The Cartridge
Family [http://www.cartridge-family.com/]
Kings, Raleigh

This is a benefit for [www.wknc.org] WKNC FM, the college radio
station at NC State University. They recently (well, within the past
couple of years) increased their power output to some absurdly high
number, like 25,000 watts. Maybe this benefit is to help pay their
electric bill. To look at their [http://www.wknc.org/studio/]
flowsheets, you'd think they were no different than any other average
CMJ-centric college radio station. You might actually be right; it has
been over a decade since I've listened to an "average" college radio
station. Who knows what they sound like?

Saturday, January 17
Eugene Chadbourne [http://www.eugenechadbourne.com/]
Project Space 211, Winston-Salem

This is the Winston-Salem stop of Chadfest 2004. Here's the details as
I understand them:

the legendary CHADBOURNE BAPTIST CHURCH
Plus Insect and Western
Free improvisation
9 p.m.
Carrie Shull, oboe and English horn
Martin Klapper, toys and electronics
Michael Jackson, clarinet, prepared guitar, synthesizer
David Doyle, French horn and mandolin
Ian Davis. Percussion
Tom Shephard, aka "Shep the Hep", electric bass
Admission charge: $6

Saturday, January 17
Sedona [http://www.sedonarock.com/], Shadow of a Great Name, The Kick
Ass [http://bifocalmedia.com/ourbands/thekickass.html], The Dynamite
Brothers [http://www.dynamitebrothers.com/], Strange
Kings, Raleigh

This is the 2nd night of the big WKNC benefit show: five more local
bands, raising money for the station that booted me off the air in
1995 because I didn't play enough metal. A lot has changed since then,
although at least one of these bands, The Kickass, are pretty fuckin
metal, albeit without any vocals, and with that ADD instru-metal
tendency to change-up the song entirely every 30 seconds or so.

Saturday, January 17
The Rosebuds [http://www.therosebuds.com/], Bellafea
[http://www.bellafea.com/], Schooner, Kahoots
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

Rosebuds and Bellafea both moved themselves up here from Wilmington,
but they're both so cute & perky and filled with little yelps and
squeals that we can't hold it against them. Rosebuds you probably know
a lot about already--they've got a CD on Merge for chrissake, so you'd
better. Bellafea are a little younger and a little more interested in
messing with the popsong form--in fact, they've got a
[http://www.bellafea.com/httpdocs/belf3.htm] manifesto of sorts all
about it.

Sunday, January 18
Laramie UK [http://duckonbike.com/artistinfo.asp?artistid=272], Torch
Marauder
The Cave, Chapel Hill

This is being sponsored by a local free newsprint rag called
[http://blotterrag.com/] The Blotter which is kind of like your high
school's underground newspaper only with much better copyediting (OK,
that's probably unfair--but their
[http://blotterrag.com/1103/notes1103.htm] editorial notes always seem
to have this heightened sense of their own subversiveness that isn't
always borne out in the content. Not that said content isn't
good--check out this [http://blotterrag.com/0104/dennis0104.htm]
beautiful comic from the current web issue.)

But I digress. Laramie UK are Raleigh-ish, and they make slow-building
"rock" that owes some small debt to mid-period Radiohead. Their
guitarist makes lots of rock faces while playing really slowly, which
I find entertaining.

Torch Marauder is a blue guy from somewhere mysterious; he makes a
marvelous mixture of prog-rock and synth-pop and
sword-and-sorcery-metal and anything else that strikes his fancy. And
he's blue. Really.

Sunday, January 18
Permanent Darling [http://www.permanentdarling.com], The Prayers and
Tears of Arthur Digby Sellers [http://www.prayersandtears.com/]
Local 506, Chapel Hill

Tuesday, January 20
Twilighter [http://www.twilighterband.com/], Fake Swedish
[http://fakeswedish.4t.com/index.html]
The Cave, Chapel Hill

What was Fake Swedish telling me the other day? Something about how
they use a lotta falling-apart vintage tube instruments, including
organ, and it winds up being kind of like Steppenwolf. Now, if
somebody just says "Steppenwolf" to you, you probably thing "o for
chrissake, not "Magic Carpet Ride again, jeez" but really, wouldn't
you like that song a whole lot better if John Kay wasn't singing?
Because it's unlikely he's in Fake Swedish.

Twilighter had an album out last year that would have been 147% better
had it been 32% shorter. As it was, the first half was pretty darn
good anyway.

Wednesday, January 21
My Morning Jacket [http://www.mymorningjacket.com/], Dr. Dog
Cat's Cradle, Carrboro

Thursday, January 22
Eugene Chadbourne [http://www.eugenechadbourne.com/]
Nightlight, Chapel Hill

This is the last central-NC night of Chadfest 2004. Here's the lowdown
on this particular iteration:

Tribute to the Insect and Western Party
Tribute to Thelonious Monk
& solo set
From the Insect and Western catalogue:
Excerpts from The Butterfly Garden
Carrie Shull, oboe and English horn
David Menestres, contrabass
Ian Davis, percussion
9 p.m.

Thursday, January 22
Razzle [http://www.chooglin.com], Audubon Park, A New Dawn Fades
[http://www.anewdawnfades.cherubrecords.com/]
Go! Studios Rm. 4, Carrboro

Razzle, again, are the Gods of Shorthair Metal. Audubon Park I've
already ranted quite enough about, thanks, but suffice to say that
they remind me a little bit of the chaotic pop energy of Joby's
Opinion, and you can read more [http://www.ngasama.org/issue6.htm]
here. Mmm, an MP3 as well.

--------> http://www.trianglerock.com <--------