ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Global Network Weekly #43

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Simeon Oriko <simeon AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccAfrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, CC Affiliates <cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org>, CC Europe List <CC-Europe AT lists.ibiblio.org>, cc-asia-pacific AT googlegroups.com, latin-america AT creativecommons.email, “arab-world AT creativecommons.email” <arab-world AT creativecommons.email>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Global Network Weekly #43
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 21:21:23 +0300

Hi friends 👋🏾

I met 32 of you in person at the Summit last weekend and we (mostly) spoke about the development of chapters.

I noticed a most interesting thing - some people told me they would love to participate in their chapters but are reluctant to lead or organize them.

Based on the conversations, I've gathered that some of our longstanding community members still support our work and movement but because of career growth, added responsibilities and generally speaking, 'life', not many are able to volunteer as much time or their full attention and energy. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. It is awesome to see so many people grow and develop themselves.

On the flip side, we've got so many new people coming in and already shaping our movement with new ideas and energy. (This really energizes me!) Most are happy to play significant roles to advance the movement.

I have a simple definition of leadership: point a direction and influence people down that path.

What direction are you pointing for your chapter and how are you influencing people to follow you down that path?

Kind Regards,

Simeon Oriko

Simeon Oriko
Network Manager, Creative Commons

Invest in an open future. Support Creative Commons today: http://bit.ly/19IjSKl

  • [ccAfrica] Global Network Weekly #43, Simeon Oriko, 04/20/2018