ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] Invitation to join Creative Commons on Slack

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Simeon Oriko <simeonoriko AT gmail.com>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] Invitation to join Creative Commons on Slack
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 09:38:49 +0300

FYI

For those not on the CC Affiliates mailing list.

Kind Regards,

Simeon Oriko
From: Jennie Rose Halperin <jennie AT creativecommons.org>
Date: 13 October 2016 at 00:35
To: CC Affiliates <cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Dear affiliates,

In response to multiple individual and team requests, we’re happy to announce that this week we’ll be migrating our real time communications from IRC to Slack. Slack is a messaging and collaboration tool that operates much like IRC, but allows users to have public and private channels as well as direct messages. You can access Slack through the browser, the desktop app (for Linux, Mac OS, and PC,) or the mobile app on iOS and Android.

While IRC has been a good choice in the past, Slack is more mobile friendly and integrates with the workflows of users who are using Slack for other projects, creating a more robust (and chatty) community. In addition, Slack scores high for accessibility, public familiarity, and adoption. The best news? You don’t have to give up IRC if you don’t want to! We’re building a bridge from IRC to Slack so you can continue hanging out in #creativecommons if that’s where you feel most comfortable. We’ll also continue to monitor the IRC channels for those who come looking for support.

This won’t replace our other methods of communication, like email lists, but will give us a great tool to engage existing and new communities. It’s important to us that we have an open space for collaboration, and we hope you’ll join and invite others as well.

We encourage you to join at https://slack-signup.creativecommons.org/ (you’ll be automatically validated), and come say hi in the #general channel. We’ll be adding channels as communities form around particular topics or areas of interest, so please do start a conversation about what you want to see in our Slack organization.

Lastly, we’re extending this invitation to our affiliate network before we open it up fully to the public to allow our global community to get familiar with the platform before making the CC Slack entirely public in mid-October.

Steps to sign up:

* Access the “Steps for new users” document: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/218080037-Getting-started-for-new-users
Note: We got in touch with Slack and they are in the process of translating their documents, but for now it’s English only.

* And follow the directions at https://slack-signup.creativecommons.org/

That’s it! Please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Jennie, Rob, and Eric

---
Jennie Rose Halperin