ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Chicago’s 'cloud tax' makes Netflix and other streaming services more expensive

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: cc affiliates <cc-affiliates AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica-oer AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Chicago’s 'cloud tax' makes Netflix and other streaming services more expensive
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 18:56:09 +0300

re: http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/1/8876817/chicago-cloud-tax-online-streaming-sales-netflix-spotify

"There's no question that the city needs revenue and I can see where things are escaping the old tax base," says Wynne, "I think the objectionable part is that, instead of drafting new laws for that, we're simply stretching the old laws to fit."

[CLAIMER: Paraphrasing mine: -- I take all the re-purposing blame :-) ]

"There's no question that authors need copy rights income from their digital Works and I can see where things are escaping their copyrights revenue on the legacy analogue-era business models," figures Alex Gakuru, "I think the objectionable part is that, instead of drafting new digital-era laws for dealing with copyright in the Internet age, they're simply stretching the old laws to fit."

-- ends --

continue having a great week...
--
Alex Gakuru, Regional Coordinator - Africa,
Creative Commons creativecommons.org

The future is open: http://teamopen.cc/thefuture/
shaping the future of sharing: https://creativecommons.net/donate/

  • [ccAfrica] Chicago’s 'cloud tax' makes Netflix and other streaming services more expensive, Alex Gakuru, 07/02/2015