ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] Tech Update

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] Tech Update
  • Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 08:53:47 +0200

My apologies, the correct link to our website mockup is: http://ip-unit.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/CCAfrica_960_grid_12_v2_Blue.jpg
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

twitter: @tobyschonwetter

Make a donation to support Creative Commons in 2015: http://bit.ly/supportcc2015

On 02 Jul 2015, at 08:44 AM, Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org> wrote:

Good morning all:

this is just a quick email to let you know that CC is currently doing a lot of work in the background to upgrade their (somewhat outdated) technology. We will keep you in the loop about changes relevant to you if and when they happen.

At this point, you will already notice some updates to the website and some of you will have also noticed that if you open our licence deeds (i.e., the human readable versions of our licences) a “donate now” field will appear after a short while (have a look here: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/). Alex and I think that for now it is ok if that message is in English - but once we start translating the deeds into some African languages we should also translate this appeal for donations.

Another important issue is the CC wiki - which quite frankly has been a pain in the past, resulting in affiliate information being hopelessly out of date. Hopefully, the new wiki infrastructure will go online this month and then we can tackle the updating of that information.

(This last item is somewhat linked to our plan to create - with your help - a ccAfrica website. At the end of last year we created a mock-up for such a website and we are very keen to continue this process. However, our funds for this year are meager and right now we are keeping the little money we have left for the Global Summit (e.g., for allowing Affiliates to stay an extra night to have a CC Africa meeting). I think Alex shared this link with you before but just as a reminder; here is the mockup: http://ip-unit.org/wp-admin/upload.php?item=1234)

Lastly, if you haven’t heard about CC’s new pet project “The List” yet, here is a nice summary: http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/06/12/creative-commons-is-building-a-mobile-app-to-kill-stock-photos/ In essence, The List allows organisations to let others know what kind of photographs they need, and when users are in the right place at the right time, they can claim an item from that list and publish a photograph of it. All photos on The List are openly licensed, meaning that everyone can use them and that we further increase the amount of openly available material.

More on all this in due time.

Best,

Tobias

---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

twitter: @tobyschonwetter

Make a donation to support Creative Commons in 2015: http://bit.ly/supportcc2015

  • [ccAfrica] Tech Update, Tobias Schonwetter, 07/02/2015
    • Re: [ccAfrica] Tech Update, Tobias Schonwetter, 07/02/2015