ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] CC Summit ideas

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] CC Summit ideas
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2015 14:36:35 +0200

Dear colleagues:

last Friday, the doodle poll closed for ideas from Africa for the Global Summit (http://doodle.com/b2a8u78na2375qz9). At this point, we have three leaders but I have also noticed that additional ideas were still added to the general planning google doc (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-5YNxLSjKeTrw5lH7x2Ei16MoNsTDldvA53Sk0kR7Kc/edit#gid=0) (but not to the poll). To be completely honest, I am not entirely sure what the next step should be - on the one hand I had planned to organise a skype call with those who had suggested the winning ideas - on the other hand, however, I feel a bit sad to lose all the other great ideas. And I am not sure whether we really have to conine ourselves to just three ideas. I therefore suggest the following approach.

1. the top three ideas (poster sessions - unique African CC-licensed things-regional collaboration) will be pursued and we will indeed have the promised call after my return from Cairo next week.

2. Those who have suggested other ideas will go back to the google doc in the next couple of days to determine whether their idea can be incorporated into one of the winning ideas and make a note to this effect in the google doc. Alternatively, merging some of the ideas that didn’t win can also be suggested.

3. If you proposed an idea that did not win and you feel that this idea cannot be merged with another idea but that we should still do this, please make a note to this effect in the document. This is for cases were you feel very strong about your idea and you will be tasked to lead this item should we eventually pursue it.

4. Next Friday (19 June) I will share this updated list with Soohyun, the RC for the Asia Pacific region, who is also part of the planning committee. She can then let us know whether there are similar ideas from other regions, which would enable us to organise sessions together. I will also aks her for her general feedback and after this we start the planning process of how to take this further.

It would be good to get a bit of feedback as to whether you agree with the proposed way forward or whether you suggest to tackle this differently.

[By way of update: I have not heard back yet from CC HQ with regard to (a) the composition of the GS planning committee, (b) the provision of support letters and concept papers to facilitate local funding, and (c) our request for general invitation letters. I have followed up on all these issues and I have also added them to the google doc in a separate sheet (“Issues”)so that you can track progress (and add further issues you want us to attend to). We will keep you in the loop.]

Best,

Tobias
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter