ccafrica - [ccAfrica] State of the Commons report now available

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] State of the Commons report now available
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 09:18:13 +0200

Hi all:

I am sure many of you have seen this already but in case you haven’t, CC's "State of the Commons" report is now available online: https://stateof.creativecommons.org/

The report contains very interesting information and statistics, e.g., that the number of CC licensed works worldwide has grown to approximately 882 million; a dramatic increase since 2006 and even 2010. It is also noteworthy and perhaps somewhat surprising that more than half of these works are shared under CC licences that allow both adaptations and commercial use.

But we have some work to do. According to the report, only 1% of CC licensed works are published in Africa. I see this as an encouragement to work harder to share with the world knowledge that comes from Africa - demographics, improved internet access and a general culture of sharing on the continent are on our side to dramatically change this figure quickly.

In sync with this report, CC also currently runs its annual fundraising campaign - please spread the word to make the campaign a success: https://donate.creativecommons.org - or in the words of CC CEO Ryan Merkley: "If Creative Commons plays a role in how you use the internet or share your work, please consider making a gift to support the organization. Creative Commons licenses will always be free, but they would not exist without your generous support."

Best,

Tobias

---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

twitter: @tobyschonwetter

Make a donation to support Creative Commons in 2015: http://bit.ly/supportcc2015

  • [ccAfrica] State of the Commons report now available, Tobias Schonwetter, 11/21/2014