ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] wd: [Open-education] Sign my petition on Change.org

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: <paulogendi AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Jessica Coates" <jessica AT creativecommons.org>, "ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "jacques murinda" <jacques.murinda AT olerwanda.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] wd: [Open-education] Sign my petition on Change.org
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 06:22:13 +0000

----------
Sent from my Nokia

------Original message------
From: Jessica Coates <jessica AT creativecommons.org>
To: "ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>,"jacques
murinda" <jacques.murinda AT olerwanda.org>
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 3:55:06 PM GMT+1100

Hi all

Some people on this list might be interested in the below. Not OER but
relevant.

Jessica Coates
Global Network Manager
Creative Commons

creativecommons.org
jessica AT creativecommons.org

Love us? Donate! https://creativecommons.net/donate

I just started a petition on Change.org that is about an issue that is very
important to me. The more people that sign my petition, the more likely it
is to win. *Will you help me by
signing?*<http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/adopt-open-educational-practices-to-promote-and-protect-the-right-to-education?share_id=VzCCBgHPjq&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_invitation>

Thanks,
Bernard

<http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/adopt-open-educational-practices-to-promote-and-protect-the-right-to-education?share_id=VzCCBgHPjq&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_invitation>
Adopt
open educational practices to promote and protect the right to education
<http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/adopt-open-educational-practices-to-promote-and-protect-the-right-to-education?share_id=VzCCBgHPjq&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_invitation>
By Bernard Nkuyubwatsi
Sign my petition
<http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/adopt-open-educational-practices-to-promote-and-protect-the-right-to-education?share_id=VzCCBgHPjq&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_invitation>

We write this petition to:

1. Encourage the Governments of Rwanda, to cooperate with stakeholders in
higher education to promote and protect access to education as a
fundamental human right.

2. Mobilise all stakeholders in tertiary education to come together to move
the right to education from aspiration into practices.

We wrote this petition because 40 students in Rwanda were arrested on 17
September
2013<http://www.igihe.com/amakuru/muri-afurika/u-rwanda/article/abanyeshuri-40-batawe-muri-yombi>,
after presenting a letter to the Prime Minister, to request the review of
the Government of Rwanda’s decision, to cancel students’ loan for tertiary
education. According to BBC
Gahuza<http://www.bbc.co.uk/gahuza/amakuru/2013/09/130927_rwanda_bursary.shtml>,
this decision could exclude more than 50% of students from public higher
education. The students who would be affected by the cancelation of the
loan are those from poor families whose performances in the national exams
were among the best.

Rwanda’s National Police Spokesman claimed that the students were arrested
because they were in illegal
demonstration<http://umuseke.rw/20-bafashwe-bavuye-utanga-ibarwa-kwa-minisitiri-wintebe-yinubira-itangwa-rya-buruse-hashingiwe-ku-budehe/>.
Nine days after the students were arrested, a court in Kigali ruled that
they were innocent and ordered their immediate
release<http://www.igihe.com/amakuru/muri-afurika/u-rwanda/article/kigali-abanyeshuri-baregwaga>.
This was followed by the reversion of the Government of Rwanda’s decision
to cancel the students’ loan. Now, more than 10,000 students regained the
hope for a brighter future they had lost. Grateful to the Government for
choosing to take this inclusive track, we encourage decision makers in
Rwandan higher education to ensure that no one is denied the right to
education due to their socio-economic background.

Mindful of Article 26.1 of the Universal Declaration of Human
Rights<http://www.ohchr.org/EN/UDHR/Documents/UDHR_Translations/eng.pdf>according
to which “higher education shall be equally accessible to all on
the basis of merit” and keeping in mind financial constraints in Rwanda, we
would like to encourage the promotion of the sharing culture in which the
learning of the rich is shared with the poor, and that of the poor shared
with the rich <http://www.budapestopenaccessinitiative.org/read>.

We cannot turn a blind eye to the suffocation of enthusiasm and passion for
education of the youth in Rwanda and elsewhere. With the adoption of open
educational resources and practices, we can create value for all
stakeholders, students; rich and poor, academics, higher education
institutions, governments and the entire global human society.

We call upon the Government of Rwanda, the Ministry of Education and its
agencies, public higher education institutions, academics and students to:

1. Adopt the use of open educational resources and open courses.

2. Establish an open education system in which students can access open
courses and resources and learn independently, receive remote support and
attend face-to-face sessions only when necessary.

3. Establish an open assessment system in which students in conventional
system and open education students can take same assessments.

4. Establish an open certification system in which conventional students
and open education students are treated equally, base on their performance.

5. Establish an open accreditation system in which students learning is
accredited based on their performance reflected in the open assessment
results.

With all these practices, an inclusive education can be accomplished. If
you share our goal, whoever you are, wherever you are, and whatever job you
do, please join us in this quest. Sign this petition and let people know
about this initiative.

A network of academics, students and other stakeholders who are
committed to champion and support open education practices is being
organised.

A million thanks for supporting this initiative

Sign my petition
<http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/adopt-open-educational-practices-to-promote-and-protect-the-right-to-education?share_id=VzCCBgHPjq&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=petition_invitation>

You're receiving this message because Bernard Nkuyubwatsi sent you an email
through Change.org's petition sharing tool. Change.org has not stored your
email address. If you believe you have received this message in error,
respond directly to Bernard Nkuyubwatsi at bn30 AT le.ac.uk.

Jane Park
Project Manager <http://creativecommons.org/staff#janepark>
Creative Commons

the School of Open, a collaboration with P2PU: http://schoolofopen.org/