ccafrica - Re: [ccAfrica] GAPS Academy - online learning platform for African students with 3000+ videos

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: Edefe Ojomo <efeojomo AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ccAfrica] GAPS Academy - online learning platform for African students with 3000+ videos
  • Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 00:04:49 +0300

Edefe,

I learnt it "by accident" - or so to speak, having contributed may technology articles to various major newspapers and magazines since 2005. T some point I discovered that the media houses could actually sue me for using my own articles which I had freely contributed to them. To confirm it, not so long ago posed the question to the CEO, Kenya Copyright Board at an IP capacity building I had organised locally. The Copyright Chief confirmed it and a Senior Counsel in the room whom had taken a columnist with a newspaper confessed he also learned about it. Well, fortunately none of the media houses ever sued me - but its scary.

Regards,

Alex