ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] Discussing Science Strategy at the Summit

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] Discussing Science Strategy at the Summit
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 11:42:23 +0200

FYI  - let me know if you are interested and I will put you in touch with Puneet.

Best,

Tobias
---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

twitter: @tobyschonwetter
linkedin:

Please support CC in shaping the future of sharing: https://creativecommons.net/donate/

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Mr. Puneet Kishor" <punkish AT creativecommons.org>
Date: 17 May 2013 20:10:28 PM SAST

Dear Affiliates,

We are proposing a miniconf at the Summit to get ideas and feedback from you all on our CC Science Strategy including the CC Science Salons and Science Affiliates Network about which I recently emailed you.

If any of you would like to help out in this proposed program, please email me and let us brainstorm together.

----
**Title of your session:** CC Science Strategy

**Abstract:** From Science Affiliates to Science Salons, the CC Science Program is building up, growing out, asking questions and speaking its mind. The method to this madness is to support CC's mission. Come find out what we are cooking up, and pitch in with your own ideas to take us there from here.

**Detailed proposal:** The CC Science program contributes to CC's mission via four strategic objectives to: build the capacity; grow the community; identify issues, and change the system. In this session we will discuss the activities through the lens of the strategic objectives, and look in depth at two of the bigger CC Science initiatives, namely, the CC Science Salons and the CC Science Affiliates Network.

## CC Science Salons

As technology continues to outpace our legal and policy frameworks, it is ever more crucial for us to understand the new breed of scientific techniques that are both enabled by new technologies and are pushing the legal and policy envelopes. We propose two kinds of CC Science Salons: the Science Technology Series will explore a single domain at a time to bring understanding to these highly technical but popular scientific topics, and uncover potential legal and policy issues that might arise from them; the Science Policy Series will examine "policy for science" by bringing together policy and decision makers to discuss hurdles to policy changes that might enable open science and free access to research results and data.

## CC Science Affiliates Network

As a small organization with a global ambition, reach, and footprint, CC is only as strong as its community. The community uses CC’s licenses, promotes the values underlying those licenses, and lobbies for openness. CC can’t be everywhere, and that is where its community steps in. In keeping with CC’s global ambitions, one of the core strategic objectives of CC Science is to “Grow the Community.” A Science Affiliates Network would strengthen CC’s science outreach by: including local and regional scientific voices in the global conversation on open science; making CC more responsive to scientific concerns worldwide; and providing scientists who are friendly toward open science and access the full power of a global community.

**Speakers:** TBD

**Session type:** Miniconf - a half day or full day side event that combines multiple sessions around a common theme

--
Puneet Kishor
Policy Coordinator for Science and Data