ccafrica - [ccAfrica] First SOPA then ACTA, now TAFTA - here we go again

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Alex Gakuru <gakuru AT gmail.com>
  • To: ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] First SOPA then ACTA, now TAFTA - here we go again
  • Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 00:43:22 +0300

Our Trans-Atlantic Call for Exclusion of Intellectual Property from EU-US Trade Talks

US trade policy is currently focused on the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), for which President Obama hopes to complete negotiations by October. If the agreement is concluded according to plan, the TPP will include the United States, Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile, New Zealand, Australia, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia, and Vietnam.  Japan is signaling its interest to join and Korea would possibly follow Japan. The treaty would remain open for other countries to join as well, so long as they meet the required standards.

Meanwhile, along the Atlantic, the US is preparing to launch negotiations for a Transatlantic Free Trade Agreement (TAFTA)—or what is being touted as the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP).

The establishment of a Trans-Atlantic partnership is not a new idea; the possibility of creating a Trans-Atlantic Free Trade area had been discussed occasionally in the past, especially during the 1970s and 1980s. However, informal discussions failed to solidify into something more concrete.

http://www.citizenvox.org/2013/03/18/first-sopa-then-acta-now-tafta-here-we-go-again/

enjoy

Alex

  • [ccAfrica] First SOPA then ACTA, now TAFTA - here we go again, Alex Gakuru, 03/23/2013