ccafrica - [ccAfrica] update on meeting on Media & Communication at DAAD, Nairobi Office

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: "Michael M. Murungi" <mmurungi AT kenyalaw.org>
  • To: ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] update on meeting on Media & Communication at DAAD, Nairobi Office
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 20:19:38 +0300

Dear colleagues
On Monday this week, i attended the "first afternoon tea" at DAAD offices (see attached brochure) on behalf of the CC-Kenya (in-formation) team. Six other friends of DAAD were in attendance.
- presentations were made by Profs. Robert Rose and Andreas Kunert from the University of Applied Sciences (Germany) showcasing some projects for computer applications and photography that the university students were working on
- the professors had heard about creative commons - they informed the meeting that the property in the creative works projects at the university vests in the student and confessed that German law and practice of intellectual property was complex and was captive to many strong (commercial?) interests. And that while young people are brought up in a culture of sharing, when they are all grown up they are often surprised at how difficult it is to legally share creative works.
- Because i left the meeting early, I was to send them an email - which i have done - asking them whether they had considered or would consider creative commons for the university's works. i wait for their response.

- i also met Prof. Suki Mwendwa, the deputy principal of the Kenya Polytechnic University College. she expressed her enthusiasm in partnering with creative commons and particularly in offering the college's participation in the cc-kenya team. i advised that I would be e-ntroducing her to Alex, the Cc-kenya (in-formation) team, which i have done.

 Michael M. Murung