ccafrica - [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] School of Open - an update and how you can get involved

ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Creative Commons Jurisdiction Teams in Sub-Saharan Africa

  • From: Tobias Schonwetter <tobias AT creativecommons.org>
  • To: CC Africa mailing list <ccafrica AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Jane Park <janepark AT creativecommons.org>
  • Subject: [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] School of Open - an update and how you can get involved
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 09:57:16 +0200

Dear colleagues:

those of you who attended the CC Africa Convening in Uganda earlier this year will perhaps remember me speaking very briefly about the "School of Open", a joint initiative by CC and P2PU (Peer to Peer University, https://p2pu.org/en/). Dedicated to universal access to and participation in research, education, and culture, the School of Open aims at offering courses on the meaning and application of “open” on the web and in offline environments. These free and collaborative courses are designed by volunteers - individual creators or organisational representatives.

If you find this interesting and you want to know more and hopefully even get involved (e.g. by participating in or even creating and running a course yourself), this is what you need to do:

  1. Go to http://schoolofopen.org and get familiar with the project. What course do you want to take or build.
  2. Join the discussion and introduce yourself and your field of “open” interest: https://groups.google.com/group/school-of-open. See if others are interested in building it with you. Someone might already be developing the course you want to create.
  3. Register for a P2PU account at http://p2pu.org.
  4. Start creating! You can create directly on the P2PU platform or use http://pad.p2pu.org for collaborative editing. Just make sure to email the list or the Project Manager (Jane Park)  with a link to the working draft so we can help.

I think this is a fascinating initiative with the potential of changing the way of how education could work and how knowledge is being transferred. I would therefore love to see some of us getting involved in this to add an African voice to the project. In order to make this initiative important and meaningful around the world, however, CC is also particularly interested right now in finding out
  • How the School of Open could be most valuable for Africa?
  • What the core "open" skills or competencies are that Africa would want to be addressed by the School of Open (eg. CC license knowledge for educators, Open Access journals, etc.)?
  • Which domains is Africa most focused on in terms of furthering openness in (eg. GLAM, education, science, government)?
  • Any other feedback/questions...
Your help in answering these questions would be highly appreciated.

All the best for now,

Tobias

---
Dr. Tobias Schonwetter
Regional Coordinator: Africa
Creative Commons

Like what we do? Please donate to
https://creativecommons.net/donate

  • [ccAfrica] Fwd: [cc-affiliates] School of Open - an update and how you can get involved, Tobias Schonwetter, 10/19/2012