cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Question on Licences

  • From: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Question on Licences
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 20:37:40 +0000

On 22/01/10 18:45, Kevin Flanagan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Question - If I use a Creative Commons Licence for example the non
> commercial sharealike licence for some of my art work online lets say
> a photograph do I still retain some commercial rights for royalties
> from lets say a commercial magazine or publication?

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice.

Basically yes. The CC licences are not exclusive. So you can publish
your artwork online under CC-BY-NC and then when someone wants to use it
in a commercial magazine you can licence it to them separately under
commercial terms for whatever their rate of pay is.

Magazines don't always understand this, though...

- Rob.