cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Open University announces CC-licensed content

  • From: Ian Brown <I.Brown AT cs.ucl.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Open University announces CC-licensed content
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 19:36:04 +0000

Could have a big impact on UK universities generally...
~~
The Vice-Chancellor of The Open University, Professor Brenda Gourley, said "The philosophy of open access and sharing knowledge is a wonderful fit with the founding principles of The Open University and with the University's very strong commitment to opening up educational access and widening participation. The University will be developing forms of open content e-learning which will reach less experienced learners and, we hope, encourage an appetite for further learning. The Open University will be the first in the UK to offer Open Content materials under a Creative Commons licence. We are deeply grateful to The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation for its generous support."

"Over the past five years the Hewlett Foundation has been a leading investor in the area of Open Educational Resources with the goal of equalizing access to knowledge across the globe," said Marshall S. Smith, the Hewlett Foundation's Education Program Director. "The Open University of the UK is unsurpassed in the area of digitized academic material. We are delighted to support the Open University's initiative to make some of its high quality academic content openly available to everyone around the world."

http://oci.open.ac.uk/pressrelease.html
--
Blogzilla ----> http://dooooooom.blogspot.com/

  • [Cc-uk] Open University announces CC-licensed content, Ian Brown, 03/10/2006