cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Copyleft Hits a Snag - Lessig

  • From: alfie <alfied AT gmail.com>
  • To: Rob Myers <rob AT robmyers.org>
  • Cc: cc-uk <cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Copyleft Hits a Snag - Lessig
  • Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 12:00:47 +0000

a timely and cogent point in case:

http://www.al4ie.com/?p=533

if you read the comments, read from the bottom up.
Alfie Dennen
Web Person

www.moblog.co.uk || www.werenotafraid.com
www.orgasmatones.com || www.palmpixels.com

M: 0044 7891 651 711
O: 0044 20 7033 3555
F: 0044 20 7033 3445
E: alfie AT al4ie.com
www.al4ie.com

Rob Myers wrote:
On 21 Dec 2005, at 10:08, David Hirst .com wrote:

An interesting and relevant piece about the incompatibilities
across licences.

http://www.technologyreview.com/InfoTech/wtr_16073,300,p1.html?trk=nl

I am very concerned by CC-US's current "compatibility" drive. It
undermines their licenses' trustworthiness. If BY-SA can be
arbitrarily modified to give derivatives to whichever large projects
refuse to use BY-SA (which given this will be all of them) it is a
moving target, an unknown quantity.

What happens when News Corp. draft a copyleft license with added
advertising (because otherwise copyleft stops people making money,
Lessig has shown that)? What happens when Microsoft draft a copyleft
license locked to Windows (because otherwise peoples copyleft rights
won't be respected)? CC-US will put a backdoor in BY-SA and add them
to their meta-license. What happens when I draft Redundant Minor
Copyleft License V0.1? If it's not treated the same as the FAL I'll
want to know why.

Far from solving the problem of a fragmented commons, CC-US will
contribute to it by driving work to minor or unsuitable licenses.
Instead, CC-US should engage in public criticism of the software
manual license that allows political opinions to be attached (FDL)
used by Wikipedia and the NonCommercial landlocked license (CA) used
by the BBC. They should make legal, procedural and software tools to
aid transition to a more suitable license (BY-SA).

The great and good cutting deals in smoke filled rooms is not a
substitute for this.

If Lessig doesn't want to "bully" license users and has a new-found
respect for people's choice of license, he should start with the
users of his own licenses.

- Rob.