cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Collecting Societies

  • From: Jonathan Mitchell <website3 AT jonathanmitchell.info>
  • To: Ed Griffith-Jones <ed AT acrewoods.net>, Creative Commons UK <Cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Collecting Societies
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 17:07:16 +0100

There was a panel discussion about this last week at the Musicworks
convention; http://www.musicworksuk.com/?node_id=1.3.2&id=83 . Andrés
Guadumuz blogged this at http://tinyurl.com/7omnq . The point was there made
that collecting society rules in UK effectively debar simultaneous use of CC
licences. One possible answer is an EU proposal to allow creators to
determine (a) which collecting society to use EU wide and (b) to stipulate
what it will collect: see FAQs at
http://europa.eu.int/comm/internal_market/copyright/management/management_en
.htm . These state Œthe individual membership contract will allow the
right-holder to define precisely the categories of rights administered Π.
See also http://www.edri.org/issues/governance/eupolicy .

British Music Rights, (whose lawyer claimed at Musicworks that it took him,
er, two hours on the internet to find the terms of the CC licence) complain
"any solution that proposes to introduce competition between societies for
users by allowing "forum-shopping" would totally undermine [their
position]": http://www.bmr.org/html/submissions/submission111.htm . Indeed.

Meanwhile there's no movement. The BASC licence David Ferguson talked about
is still not publicly available even in draft- all we saw was its logo
(which was misspelled). It doesn't however seem that it will be compatible
with current collecting society requirements either.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Mitchell QC

Work telephone/mobile: 0773 963 9343
Faculty internal mobile extension: 3349
Fax to laptop: 0870 124 8222
Business address: Advocates Library, Parliament House, Edinburgh EH1 1RF,
Scotland
DX ED 549302, Edinburgh 36; Legal Post LP3, Edinburgh 10

Website: http://www.jonathanmitchell.info

Home address: 30 Warriston Crescent, Edinburgh EH3 5LB, Scotland.
Home telephone: 0131 557 0854.

This message, and any attachments, may contain legally privileged material
and are confidential to the intended recipient.

Please note that my clerk is Iain Murray; tel. 0131 260 5697; fax 0131 220
2654; e-mail murraystable AT advocates.org.uk . Instructions as counsel should
unless otherwise notified be channelled via him.