cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Collecting Societies

  • From: Ed Griffith-Jones <ed AT acrewoods.net>
  • To: Cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Collecting Societies
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:56:28 +0100

Hello all,

I was just wondering is anyone has spoken to the UK Collecting Societies
about
Creative Commons recently?

What is their current stance on CC?

Ed
Remix Reading / Brighton / FC-UK

Hi Tim,

I have already had a meeting with ACLS and they were rather positive in
relation to both the commercial and non-commercial versions of the licence.
The message we are trying to pass is pretty much the one that Ashlyn from
Fading Ways was suggesting in a previous posting:

> While he is correct in pointing
> out that CC is not a copyright alternative, CC licenses clearly are
> NEEDED in today's marketplace for artists that believe home-taping and
> P2P file sharing is beneficial to our work and essential to our
> internet and street-team marketing. It is ludicrous to accept the
> present music b usiness industry model, which is incredibly stumped and
> outdated by the information highway, without looking at other ways to
> legally improve our business practices.

I am planning meetings with the rest of the UK collecting societies within
March/April, so I will keep you posted on that. Just wanted the licences to
be
finalised and on the website before proceeding to any further discussions
with
collecting societies.

Having said that I would like to thank you all for the feedback you keep
providing on the licences. Also, to the CC-Scotland team: sorry for the CC-UK
mistake on the licences, it keeps popping up the whole time in a rather
embarassing way!!!

Best,
pRo

--
Prodromos Tsiavos
Oxford University Programme in Comparative Media Law and Policy