cc-uk - RE: [Cc-uk] RE: Cc-uk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 6

  • From: "RAFFERTY DAMIAN" <Damian.Rafferty AT Culture.gsi.gov.uk>
  • To: "David M. Berry" <d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [Cc-uk] RE: Cc-uk Digest, Vol 17, Issue 6
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 11:09:27 +0100

David - I agree with pretty much all of what you say on a personal level and I am familiar with the arguments. I take it as a given that everyone on this list wants to see more creative activity not less. I would just add that whatever the merits of the current copyright regime, there is no possibility of progress in this area without people understanding their rights and restrictions in relation to the law as it now stands.

It seems inevitable also that more education in this area will come into schools and so the issue is whether this is left to those within the creative industries to lead and in many cases even fund.

Therefore, the issue boils down to one of strategy, not intent. Does CC attempt to create a rival educational sphere or seek to embed its messages in a discourse within schools that will inevitably involve big copyright owners?

A classic reformist dilemma if there ever was one:)

Damian