cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Remix Penguin

  • From: "David M. Berry" <D.Berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Remix Penguin
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 10:16:48 +0100

I have just been contacted by Penguin, the book publishers, about their launch of a remix competition. Not much in details and no info on the licensing but I thought it could have been (might be/is) a brilliant place for Creative Commons to get involved. Let me know if you want more info..

cheers

David
-------------

hear penguin  sample penguin  remix penguin

On May 9th Penguin launches Penguin Remixed an innovative competition which
invites musicians, professional and amateur, the opportunity to sample some of the
best lines in literature to create new tunes. Audio samples from thirty Penguin titles
will be available for download from the www.penguinremixed.co.uk website and
entrants will be invited to submit their tracks to win MP3 players, subscriptions to
Audible’s digital audiobookstore and the top prize of publication in a Penguin digital
audiobook.

“We think that this competition is going to excite musicians and interest music and
book lovers, all of whom will be able to vote for their favourite tracks. New digital
technologies make it terrifically easy for anyone with a computer to create music and
gives us as publishers great opportunities both to offer new content and reach new
audiences,” said Penguin’s audio and ebook publisher, Jeremy Ettinghausen, “We’re
excited about the launch of digital audiobooks and we hope that this new format is
going to draw new listeners to our audio publishing.”

Penguin Remixed also highlights the range of audio publishing from Penguin,
drawing on material as diverse as Spot the Dog, the James Bond stories and Charles
Dickens. “In Penguin’s 70th year it’s fantastic to be able to demonstrate the breadth of
our current and past audio publishing. Obviously we’ve got some of the classic lines
of literature read by some of the best actors of the day, but there are wonderful,
music-friendly quotes in all sorts of unexpected places, such as Alain de Botton’s
STATUS ANXIETY and Pen Hadow’s remarkable story of polar exploration” said
Ettinghausen.

[The Penguin Remixed website will be launched on 9 May.]