cc-uk - [Cc-uk] Re: Changing your mind and the young Bowie

  • From: Dr Tim Brookes <T.Brookes AT surrey.ac.uk>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Cc-uk] Re: Changing your mind and the young Bowie
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 20:55:08 +0100
On 25 Apr 2005, at 17:00, cc-uk-request AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote:
One of the thorny 'yes buts...' I am hearing a lot in regard to CC is "what happens if young creators license their early work under CC and then rue the day forever more?"

For musical works, as far as I can see, the major problem here is the UK collection agencies. If you have ever licensed any of your works under CC then you can never join PRS, since they require exclusive rights to all your works - past and future - and you can not grant exclusive rights on a work you've already CC-licensed. If you're not in PRS when you're writing hit after hit, you'll find it almost impossible to get any performance royalties from your multitudinous radio broadcasts, TV broadcasts, film showings, public performances, iTunes downloads, etc... You can make money from selling CDs, and from granting permission for use of your tracks in films, adverts, etc, but you won't get performance royalties.

It's PRS that need to change - not CC - but until they do I think you'd have to be very sure that you never want any performance royalties before you CC-license anything. This is a tremendous shame and I very much hope PRS (and MCPS and PPL) can be persuaded to grant membership in exchange for exclusive (or even non-exclusive) rights on commercial use only. Then a non-com CC licence would not preclude later royalty income.

Tim.