cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Changing your mind and the young Bowie

  • From: David M.Berry <d.berry AT sussex.ac.uk>
  • To: Damian.Rafferty AT Culture.gsi.gov.uk
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Changing your mind and the young Bowie
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:45:28 +0100

I personally think that more thought needs to go into the concept of dual licensing. I would have thought that as a copyright holder I am perfectly at liberty to release versions under different licenses (for instance I may release under a CC-BY-SA but also license a non-CC version to a film company to, perhaps, excuse them from the viral effects and to be paid or whatever).

My understanding is that as the copyright is not transferred or given up I perfectly well have the right to release as many different forms as I wish, for example CC_BY-SA for MP3s and copyright for CDs etc. After all, lets remember that this work is not just thrown into the public domain or anything. The CC is a clever bit of trickery to simulate a commons, but it is *not* really a commons in a true sense as it relies on private ownership.

Additionally the artist may choose to rerecord and license a slightly different track or remix under a stronger license.

This may be considered confusing to the consumer (hence the value of some form of embedded CC license in the track to explain might be in order) but I would have thought this perfectly legal and sensible to allow maximum flexibility to the artist and to combat this decidedly Creators' Rights Alliance type arguments against CC releases.

Cheers

David

http://www.locarecords.com