cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] Changing your mind and the young Bowie

  • From: Ian Brown <I.Brown AT cs.ucl.ac.uk>
  • To: Damian.Rafferty AT Culture.gsi.gov.uk
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] Changing your mind and the young Bowie
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:18:41 +0100

Damian.Rafferty AT Culture.gsi.gov.uk wrote:
One of the thorny 'yes buts...' I am hearing a lot in regard to CC is "what
happens if young creators license their early work under CC and then rue the
day forever more?"

What response can you give to this?

(1) creators can include the CC non-commercial restriction, so that if their early work becomes popular they can still make money from its sale later :) Even without this restriction, artists will also be able to make money from their CC works through new performances (live and recorded).

(2) the young creators are more likely to become successful older creators if their early work gets a lot of exposure through CC licensing, with all of the benefits (including monetary) this brings.