cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] FW: creative commons licences

  • From: Stuart Yeates <stuart.yeates AT computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
  • To: Rob Myers <robmyers AT mac.com>
  • Cc: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org, mllxkcsb AT yahoo.co.uk, flowow AT yahoo.com
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] FW: creative commons licences
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 14:40:18 +0000

Rob Myers wrote:
> On Thursday, February 24, 2005, at 01:36PM, Christian Ahlert
> <christian.ahlert AT oii.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>>I am actually curious what exactly you mean by "later charged for"? Do you
>>want to put content up on the web under a non-commercial license and then
>>later remove the license, or how exactly want to commercialize....???
>

> Taking the example of illustration, if I place an image on my website
> CC-NC, people can use it quite happily for noncommercial purposes. If an
> art director sees the image as a result of this and wants to use the image
> in a commercial project, they can negotiate a paid non-CC copyright license
> with me in order to use the image commercially.
>
> Likewise with music. I think that Magnatune work somewhat like this:
>
> http://www.magnatune.com/info/license

This is related to "dual licensing" which is common in the open
source world. MySQL, Sleepy Cat and TrollTech all have successful
business models which involve licensing their software for free as
open source or commercially to be used in closed source software.

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/
http://www.sleepycat.com/download/licensinginfo.shtml
http://www.trolltech.com/products/licensing.html

cheers
stuart
--
Stuart Yeates stuart.yeates AT computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
OSS Watch http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk/