cc-uk - Re: [Cc-uk] coming to the UK...

  • From: Neil Leyton <nleyton AT gmail.com>
  • To: cc-uk AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Cc-uk] coming to the UK...
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:23:58 -0500

Hello Christiane, (and the list this time!)

Shame we missed each other at Popkomm last September. Would have been
nice to meet in person.

I did not mean that it was time for the CC licenses to be challenged
in court; I agree it is a bit early, even though I have already been
threatened with such challenges here in Canada by disgruntled music
biz dinosaurs. I wasn't suggesting we challenge the CC licenses - I
was, instead, referring to the practices of the PRS and PPL,
collection societies who have been infringing on the developing
careers of musicians outside the music cartel for a long time now...
as others on this list can attest to. I intend on learning as much as
I can while I spend time in the UK this summer to find out how to
challenge the PRS, as they have apparently told some people that if an
artist uses a CC license they will NOT collect commercial airplay
royalties on their behalf... this to me is a blatant slap in the face
of CC as well as each songwriters' inherent RIGHT to choose his or her
own method of marketing... I need to know whether any UK CC person has
been in direct contact with PRS and PPL before I approach them myself.

N.